Where to stash your keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[-]oh come on, it can't be that simple..... maybe PADI has a specialty card..... or maybe there is a DIR method...

P.S. - me thinks we have beaten this one to death.....[/-]

---------- Post added April 19th, 2012 at 07:33 PM ----------

sorry - the bourbon has kicked in - been a long week, and it isn't even Friday......

[-]oh come on, it can't be that simple..... maybe PADI has a specialty card..... or maybe there is a DIR method...

sorry - the bourbon has kicked in - been a long week, and it isn't even Friday......

:rofl3:

:rofl3:

My key is plain metal - no fancy electronics. Still, I worry about losing it underwater. My dive flag float has a cover with a pocket. I normally put the keys there. When I get a new car with a fancy key, I guess I will put it in a drybag, in the pocket of the float. When I dive with Diveprof, I put my keys in his car. :D

---------- Post added April 19th, 2012 at 08:27 PM ----------

And pass the bourbon!

One of these days we could start a thread specifically to discussing how much we can drink, and still post somewhat coherently, and then set out to prove it online, although as I suspect that has already been done. (the proving part, anyway, if not the specific thread)

---------- Post added April 19th, 2012 at 08:32 PM ----------

My key is plain metal - no fancy electronics. Still, I worry about losing it underwater. My dive flag float has a cover with a pocket. I normally put the keys there. When I get a new car with a fancy key, I guess I will put it in a drybag, in the pocket of the float. When I dive with Diveprof, I put my keys in his car. :D

---------- Post added April 19th, 2012 at 08:27 PM ----------

And pass the bourbon!

See, at least YOU always get to drive home, even if your buddy needs AAA.

Pass on the bourbon though. Much as it's tempting, things tend to break and I usually end up with new scars.

All good recommendations thus far.

For those who have been recommending hiding the key in the tires or in a unlocked box I also suggest not advertising your are a diver by having a diver down sticker or other similar advertisement that you not only are under water but might have lots of expensive gear in the car/truck.

Laguna Beach police have told me putting a dive sticker on your vehicle increases the odds of having it broken into.

couldn't you take off your drysuit before retrieving the keys?

I would have had to put something else on but the car was locked! I could not crawl in mud with my Thinsulate underwear, much less half naked.

Also, it takes me at least a good 10 minutes to put everything on. My buddy was waiting for me...

I used to just stow the key in the driver's side door pocket. I pretty much only dove at a very close local quarry helping out with classes so if it wasn't there when I came up I could always get a ride home with the instructor or one of the other Dive Cons. The way I figured it was that there was nothing of value in the car aside from an empty gear bag and a couple of rental tanks. Heck, the gear I was wearing probably cost more than the car was worth anyway. I won't do that anymore, though, since we don't have the car anymore (sold, not stolen) and I don't dive a that quarry anymore.

All good recommendations thus far.

For those who have been recommending hiding the key in the tires or in a unlocked box I also suggest not advertising your are a diver by having a diver down sticker or other similar advertisement that you not only are under water but might have lots of expensive gear in the car/truck.

Laguna Beach police have told me putting a dive sticker on your vehicle increases the odds of having it broken into.

While an NRA marksman sticker, and an empty holster laying on the passenger seat does not. IJS Always keep them guessing.

My car keys are integrated into the fob plus it has a chip. I had a key cut for 5$ which doesn't have a chip. It'll open the doors but won't start the car. I can take it under with me while the real key is locked in the car.

Back
Top Bottom