Where to stash your keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find its much safer to lock your keys in the car at the site.....:banghead:

I use a Drycase pouch for my I phone for my key. takes up little room. Will not flood and is very flat. At 250+ pre key it is better to spend $30 for the case and never worry. Will fit in any pocket on my BC/BPW or wetsuit/Drysuit pocket. Hell if you want you can attach it to you arm like their photos show..... I hate bringing those small Pelicans down as they add boyancy or may flood at their valve. Had that happen........ Been using the pouch for my IPhone in the boat and during dives and just added the key and it worked..... Just my 2 cents.

DryCASE Waterproof Case for iPhone, iPod, Smartphone, iPad, Kindle | DryBUDS Waterproof Headphones

Will a GPS signal penetrate the water reliably at depth?
NO. L1 frequency - at that very low level - will probably travel few inches ....

---------- Post added April 17th, 2012 at 09:56 AM ----------

I find its much safer to lock your keys in the car at the site.....:banghead:
I do the same.
Then I just puch the code in the keyless entry system ... yes, I have a FORD :D

Am I the only person who actually uses the key pockets built into every wetsuit? Or did I just miss that option? I use the valet key from my car all the time so I don't have to worry about the chipped keys.

use the buddy system. he drives, and he figures how to solve the problems....

I do the same.
Then I just puch the code in the keyless entry system ... yes, I have a FORD :D

Me too, funny thing is that they only time I have ever used the key code is at dive sites. Must be some scuba divers at Ford R&D.

I notice this hasn't been mentioned. I've got a Master Lock Key Safe. Just lock it to your vehicle hitch, etc. much cheaper than the "hitch lock".

$22 bucks at Amazon

Amazon.com: Master Lock 5400D Select Access Key Storage Box with Set-Your-Own Combination Lock, 1-Pack: Home Improvement

41ZaXdFCVVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51wOCNK1icL._AA300_.jpg

I use the "bag and bury method" unless in my own vehicle where I have a magnetic key holder that is in a very difficult spot to locate unless you know where to look. It's nice and globbed up with oil and road grime. I NEVER takes keys on a dive, especially an electronic key. But now I am going to get a key safe mike_s shows above. Great tip!
DivemasterDennis

Lowes sells a key holder fits one key and it is a digitallock with a small cable. you can loop the unit around an axle or something under the car with key inside. Come back line up the three digit code,push a button and the key compartment pops open. I think I paid about $12-15 for it.

Man, thats awesome! I havent thought about the GPS thing. I will need to take one on a dive a couple of times before I trust it enough to put my GPS in it. LOL
Great ideas!
I use a Pelican case for a GPS on shallow dives [30-60']...When I find a spot I bob to the surface and mark it...Then transfer locations to the on board nav. system and desk top...Haven't had a leak yet after several years.......The depth ratings are listed in the spec's for each case.....

Back
Top Bottom