Where to go????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would love to believe COVID will be behind us by then, but I'm losing hope.

We can only hope but I won't hold my breath for that. It doesn't look good at all worldwide unfortunately.

For my own risk tolerance, I would not venture to Bora Bora or Maldives because of the distance involved and so many things can go wrong in travel right now. I've heard that the Maldives is suffering from bleaching or coral die-off. Bonaire is great if you like shore diving, although I prefer boat diving, so I was on boats for diving there.

Check out St. Croix. I was there in May. The reef diving on the Frederiksted side is abysmal because of coral bleaching. The Cane Bay Wall on the Christiansted is much better. However, the Frederiksted pier is phenomenal!

I’d stay with the Caribbean due to the pandemic. Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Bonaire and Curacoa come to mind. St. Croix could be good. I’ve got trip notes for some of these, but St. Croix now has a zip line, N2TheBlue has a new name and Sweet Bottom Dive Shop changed locations; I hear Curaçao now has 3 A.I. options instead of 1.

St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017 - Trip Report - St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017
My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel TripCuracao Trip Research Notes
Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019
My Research Notes for Bonaire - My Research Note For Bonaire
CocoView Trip Report May 2021 - Trip Report - CocoView Resort May 8-15, 2021
My Research Notes from planning a Roatan Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Roatan Trip

I dove and actually got my OW + Nitrox certifications in the Maldives in November 2020… and I would go back in a heartbeat!

Of all the places I’ve dived (among which Turks & Caicos, Florida, Keys, Aruba), the Maldives remain the most incredible dives I’ve had so far.

It is quite a long flight away but if Bora Bora is a contender, then I take it long flights aren’t an issue.

What about Cozumel? I always found a good deal there. I haven't been in about 15-20 years. Many direct flights now and prices are cheaper than diving in Hawaii.

Is your planned trip a one and only opportunity or will you be able to follow up over the years with more and more travel to dive?

If you'll have continued opportunities to travel to dive, start with the Caribbean and work your way up to Maldives and Bora Bora. It's very difficult to go back again after having taken the fabulous trips to exotic locals.

I haven't been to Bora Bora but have been to each of Roatan, Belize and Maldives many times.

Frankly, I think that you'd quite enjoy Roatan or Belize and then reach further afield as we put this pandemic more and more into the taillights.

Curaçao would be my choice, went in June. I haven’t been keeping up since I returned home but they were working hard at getting everyone vaccinated and the options while not diving are great.

Wow, what a disparate list of destinations. As in Chevy, Cadillac, Ferrari, Bugatti.

Bora Bora sounds all exotic and fabulous, I suppose it is, but for way less money there are many better options- if we can get past COVID. Today’s holy grail is Raja Ampat, go there before it becomes passé.

It is quite one thing to go to exotic places, it is another thing to be able to get value from that effort. A great prep for “the big trip” would be to spend a smaller fortune in the Caribbean and dive your log book full up, learning to be absolutely comfortable, learning observational skills.

As you note, you’ve never been diving outside the US. To go back to my first rough analogy about cars? Here, would you care to take this Indy Car for a spin? You might complete a lap on a round oval, you could say you’ve done that. How’d that go for you?

Go diving, dive a lot, then go to “the cool places”.

Back
Top Bottom