Where to go????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingDogDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am trying to plan at week long dive trip/vacation for my son and I. The four places on my list are Bora Bora, Maldives, Bon Aire, and Roatan. I've never been diving outside of the States. I want a wonderful vacation with great diving. Any thoughts?

I haven't been to any of those places, but would love to go to Bonaire and Bora Bora. Google Maldives reefs. I think they have killed off about 90% of them with septic not being regulated. Roatan isn't on my list after diving in Belize back in 2011. The reefs of Belize were pretty dead at that time, but I have read they are making a comeback. Everything I read about Bonaire is spectacular, but very much a DIY diving place. I want to go to Bora Bora just for the over-the-water bungalows. Someday....

(edit) OH!!! Also look at travel times. When I looked at the Maldives several years ago, it was 24 hours to get there, and 36+ hours to get back. I would have been more mad than happy due to the travel times for that vacation.

Go to Bora Bora.

I think it speaks for itself.

Considering the COVID situation and the increased possibility with issues due to longer travel times, I'd recommend Bonaire and/or Curacao (Roatan doesn't compare with Bonaire/Curacao, not even close. I have been to all three several times).

Considering the COVID situation and the increased possibility with issues due to longer travel times, I'd recommend Bonaire and/or Curacao (Roatan doesn't compare with Bonaire/Curacao, not even close. I have been to all three several times).

Curacao is now on a Do Not Travel list with the CDC. I would love to go there as it has more boat diving options and has more to do for the non-diving wife. Sadly, Delta doesn't offer flights to CUR.

Curacao is now on a Do Not Travel list with the CDC. I would love to go there as it has more boat diving options and has more to do for the non-diving wife. Sadly, Delta doesn't offer flights to CUR.

Too bad, it is getting more and more difficult to go anywhere in the world. One of the main issues is that practically all popular dive destinations are in third world countries or in less prosperous areas with lower priority in the vaccination delivery list. The white western guys gobbled up everything leaving nothing for the poorer darker nations.

I was going to suggest Florida but that is now a high risk area. Many people are now discovering the USVI, St. Croix in particular. There are lots of references about St. Croix on SB.

I haven't been to any of those places, but would love to go to Bonaire and Bora Bora. Google Maldives reefs. I think they have killed off about 90% of them with septic not being regulated. Roatan isn't on my list after diving in Belize back in 2011. The reefs of Belize were pretty dead at that time, but I have read they are making a comeback. Everything I read about Bonaire is spectacular, but very much a DIY diving place. I want to go to Bora Bora just for the over-the-water bungalows. Someday....

(edit) OH!!! Also look at travel times. When I looked at the Maldives several years ago, it was 24 hours to get there, and 36+ hours to get back. I would have been more mad than happy due to the travel times for that vacation.
Thank you very much. Extremely helpful.

Thank you. And a little jealous

Always a consideration. I was scheduled to go to Bonaire in 2020 but COVID stopped that. My plans are for 04/22. I would love to believe COVID will be behind us by then, but I'm losing hope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom