Where to go????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Truthfully,
I highly recommend Cozumel. Cozumel's reefs are second to none, plenty of wildlife, the prices are great, the people there are over the top friendly, competent dive masters, perfect for you & your son. I can recommend a couple of places to stay & dive with if you decide to go there.

Have any recommendations there for a solo traveler?

Have you made a decision or made plans yet?

If not, as others have mentioned, I think you need to write more info. about you & your son (how old is he?), your dive competency, and some specifics about you're looking for out of this trip. You wrote that "I want a wonderful vacation with great diving"...so what constitutes a great vacation? Is the most important consideration the quality of the diving, or is it important that there be lots of things to do topside--upscale dining, shopping, etc.?

Do you want to go on a "dive vacation", where the primary focus is on diving, or are you looking for a great beach vacation destination where you can also get in some diving while you're there? If it's the former, Cozumel could be a good choice, but it's not a good choice if nice sandy beaches are important to you, and a teenager might get bored there. If it's a beach vacation you're looking for with maybe a little diving on the side, Playa del Carmen might be a good choice.

The more information you give us, the better advice others can give you!

I've been to all of those places, except the Maldives. Comes down to what kind of diving/vacation you're looking for, etc. Bora Bora is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. It isn't a "diving destination", but you can dive there....and it's good! For a mom/son trip, it may be lacking in some things. You'll come across a lot of honeymooners and couples. We were on an anniversary trip ourselves. :) Bonaire diving is fantastic! Depends on how hard you want to work. Shore diving there is not "easy", but it isn't all that hard either, in that it is convenient and the dive sites are plentiful. Great diving though. We mix morning boat dives and shore dives through a place like Buddy's. And...we just got back from Roatan at the beginning of August. The diving was amazing and the boat trips out to the reef are easy and convenient (5-10 minutes). Dove with Sea Divers Roatan. Loved Roatan and would do it again in a heartbeat. Island was pretty much open for business as usual. BTW, we're headed to Curacao in December as well.

Bottom line....they're all good places. Everyone has different risk tolerances when it comes to the whole COVID thing. We dove Bonaire right before the pandemic but have been to St Thomas, Turks and Caicos and Roatan during the pandemic. Find a place that suits you and go have fun. You deserve it!

Back
Top Bottom