Where to go next, help???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PNG - Milne Bay Tawali Resort land based - Wetpup (also a single female diver) has a trip report somewhere on Tawali.

Rangiroa and Fakarava in French Polynesia - land based ops

Maldives is now cheap as chips land based unless you decide to stay at an upmarket resort.

Sri Lanka is kicking off as a dive spot and obviously cheaper....

Just a few thoughts
Maldives is cheap as chips? Where??? I can't find anything except luxury uber expensive resorts....

Flying into Singapore you would likely get a flight on scoot for $100 - from Perth the fare is $129.

Here's a bit of info on doing the Maldives "another way"

Dive Center | Blue Horizon Maldives

The Shocking Truth about the Maldives: On a Budget? Listen up! | Digital Nomad Travel Magazine

Depends on if you're after the overwater bungalow gig or your focus is on diving. Locally operated tourism is a new thing to Maldives so there are some real bargains around. A friend just came back from diving with Blue Horizon and stayed at an air BnB that he found no fault with.

Prices dropping overall in the Maldives is also probably due to the political unrest and other socio economic factors but it's probably the cheapest time to dive there if you look outside the box.

Hey Wingy, I've been reading about ways to dive there land based as well, from the aspect of cheap as chips. I like beer or a glass of wine once in awhile. I've not been able to ascertain whether or not these B&B type places are allowed such. Do you know?

I stick to the original destination: south Egypt on liveaboard is quite safe provided you use a good operator and the trip is well organized.
As example of that I went there with Emperor's Divers - a UK company (I'm Italian) and they have 4 or 5 boats operating there doing different trips.
Usually they host EU people, mostly from UK/Ireland, but with me there were also a finnish couple.

Hi @heidihart88

I did 2 weeks of LOB on the Red Sea last April-May. I went with the Red Sea Aggressor, at a significant discount. I did both their southern route and the northern route, so did not do the northern wrecks, including the Thistlegorm. I stayed in Marsa Alam/Port Ghalib before my trip and did a day of diving with Emperor Divers. I saw several of their LOBs while out on the RSA, and would not hesitate to use one of them. Emperor Divers appears to have a discount rate running for the next couple weeks. The RSA is also available at a significant discount during the time you want to dive. I used Aggressor Travel to make my land transport and hotel reservations, this worked perfectly. They also offer side trips to Luxor and Cairo. My reviews of the RSA and Emperor Divers were posted in the Red Sea section of SB last October. The diving in the Red Sea was fantastic. I would gladly return to dive some of the same sites and/or to dive the many sites I've not seen yet. PM me with any questions.

My wife and I did two weeks in Cairo and on the Nile between Luxor and Aswan, with a side trip to Abu Simbel, last February. This was probably the most interesting and educational trip we've taken. We were generally with a small group and felt safe. My wife and I walked around Cairo a bit by ourselves and did fine. I'm not sure I would walk around by myself if I were a single woman. Visiting the Red Sea felt perfectly safe, of course did not spend much time on land. I flew into Hurghada and had a 3 hour ride to and from Port Ghalib. If I were to leave from Port Ghalib again, I would think about flying to Cairo and taking Egyptair directly to Marsa Alam. There are several 2 stop flights from Seattle to Hurghada or Cairo at reasonable costs. I believe Egyptair flies to Marsa Alam 4 days/week

Best of luck, good diving,

Craig

upload_2017-2-5_11-31-9.png

upload_2017-2-5_11-31-33.png

come on, there is a whole world to dive ... Bahamas are ok, but I'm curious :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom