Where to find SS quick-releases? Sliders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently wanted to add webbing to my bp/w so rather than replacing the whole thing I just cut the left chest strap and put a plastic quick-release there followed by some spare webbing that I had lying around. Subsequently I've loved the quick-release when diving dry. It just makes things easier on the boat when doffing the rig. But I'd prefer steel to plastic, so who makes SS quick-releases, in particular, I'd prefer one similar to the plastic ones that reefscuba and others sell (pic at bottom), except it would have to use a SS spring or something equivalent of course. (I don't want to use an SS buckle because it's too bulky and too much trouble.)

Dual2QuickRelease.jpg

Also, I'm afraid my wrist gauges with bungee straps could damage my latex seals when I pull them on, so I'm looking for another way to rig them - I'd like to find some kind of a slider I could use to tighten the bungee straps once I first put the gauges on with the straps loose. Any ideas? (Again SS preferred).

Thanks Tobin.

I think there'd be a market for them though (in case any parts manufacturer is reading).

All it would take is a thin (thinner the better) SS version of the plastic quick-release with two SS spring-loaded press-in buttons at the middle.

And I'm sure a plastic version of the sliders I'm looking for must exist at least. Something that lets you pull a cord/bungee/webbing in but doesn't release it back out unless you press some button or release a switch. What are things like that called (so I can google for them)? Something similar to what backpack shoulder straps use, but maybe more sophisticated and preferably made of stainless steel, though I'd take plastic too if the steel versions are not available.

*Floater*:
Something similar to what backpack shoulder straps use, but maybe more sophisticated and preferably made of stainless steel, though I'd take plastic too if the steel versions are not available.
On my old packpack harnesses, I just used two SS 'D' rings at the end of a sewn loop. Passing the other end of the webbing through both rings from the underside and then back through one ring creates a slide that you just pull to tighten.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
On my old packpack harnesses, I just used two SS 'D' rings at the end of a sewn loop. Passing the other end of the webbing through both rings from the underside and then back through one ring creates a slide that you just pull to tighten.
Rick
Wow, that's ingenious! I've seen that type of connector many many times, but it never occurred to me to jury rig a connector like that with a pair of D-rings! Nicely done! I'll bet using a SS triglide, you could even eliminate the sewn part of that rig, if it's too tough to have the sewing done or don't want it sewn for some reason.

Well, I didn't find SS quick-releases, but I did find an SS Clamp Buckle. It appears to work okay with 1" wide elastic webbing for my Versa Pro computer's adjustable wrist strap, though time will tell. (I removed the original strap, left the pins, and slid the webbing under them).

This was not an ideal solution because the clamp is a little bit bulky, the spring is a little tighter than necessary for elastic webbing and may therefore wear it out over time, but it is very secure and the best solution I found so far. I also tried delrin ladder locks but they did not seem very secure.

Stainless%20Clamp%20Buckle.jpg

I thought you are DIR...:wink:

I thought you are DIR...:wink:

Not that DIR...

Besides the clamp is SS and adjusting regular bungee straps between wetsuits and drysuits is a PITA (and I was afraid of damaging my latex wrist seals when putting on the instruments).

Besides, proper DIR would be to have at least one wrist instrument with an adjustable strap to help minimize leakage in case a wrist seal breaks - though a non-elastic adjustable strap would probably work better for that purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom