Replacement HP Spool and Boot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JediCheese

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So in my used gear find, I came across this awesome old Sherwood pressure gauge. Used one when I learned to dive and I like the multi color look vs the more modern single or double color style.

Thing is it uses an old style HP Spool that I'd like to replace with a new one. I saw that most places say you can safely use the modern style ones except on plastic gauges of this era and I think this might be incompatible.

Anyone have a good source for one of these old ones or know if the newer style HP spool will work on this?

Secondary question is this came in a boot that's pretty beat up and had a computer in it that no longer works. Is it safe to use a plastic gauge like this without a boot? If it isn't, know any good sources for a boot that fits a single 2.25 inch gauge?

PXL_20240313_034358963.jpg

So in my used gear find, I came across this awesome old Sherwood pressure gauge. Used one when I learned to dive and I like the multi color look vs the more modern single or double color style.

Thing is it uses an old style HP Spool that I'd like to replace with a new one. I saw that most places say you can safely use the modern style ones except on plastic gauges of this era and I think this might be incompatible.

Anyone have a good source for one of these old ones or know if the newer style HP spool will work on this?

Secondary question is this came in a boot that's pretty beat up and had a computer in it that no longer works. Is it safe to use a plastic gauge like this without a boot? If it isn't, know any good sources for a boot that fits a single 2.25 inch gauge?

View attachment 831487
If you have a newer gauge take it apart and swap the spool over and try it.

I've never used a gauge in a boot, they've always been fine right up until I switched to transmitters.

View attachment 831487
What’s wrong with the old spool? Clean it and put new o-rings on it, or just use it as is. Boot not needed, the plastic (especially the face) will get scratched but it all looks and works fine under water.

Boot not needed, the plastic (especially the face) will get scratched but it all looks and works fine under water.
That one is from a console, and likely needing a little padding/protection for love.... Not the most durable configuration if naked... it isn't brass and glass...

That one is from a console, and likely needing a little padding/protection for love.... Not the most durable configuration if naked... it isn't brass and glass...
Yah, I would be a little more careful with a naked plastic spg. No hammering rocks with it.

If it isn't, know any good sources for a boot that fits a single 2.25 inch gauge?

This is the kind of thing that most dive shops will probably have a dusty box on a shelf somewhere of used boots and if they're in a good mood will give you one or sell cheaply, especially if you happen to be buying something else...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom