Where to fill Argon in East Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSpock

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to switch to argon for my dry suite. I have a 13 cu ft tank recently hydro'd, but my local welding supply store (U.S. Alloys Co. in Walnut Creek) refused to fill it with Argon. The reason was, "we don't fill scuba tanks with argon - it is dangerous". Trying to explain it is not for breathing didn't help. Any advice?

Go back to the welding shop and ask to lease a 300cuft argon cylinder. It will have a CGA 580 valve on it. You can trans-fill into your 13 if you make a whip, but you'll likely never get 3000psi that way.

I'm going to ask why?

The difference is marginal and you have to completely flush the suit every time you don it in order to get any benefit at all.

I would just use regular air.

Not just flush the suit, but flush it multiple times to have any real benefit IIRC

I'm going to ask why?

The difference is marginal and you have to completely flush the suit every time you don it in order to get any benefit at all.

I would just use regular air.
Actually, I read about a study using argon and they concluded that you had to flush your dry suit SIX times before the fraction of argon in the suit was high enough to make a measurable difference.

If you've ever tried to fill a rebreather with 100% o2 to calibrate the cells you know how many times you need to suck out all the gas and refill with O2 before you get close to 100%...

Argon is a placebo at best. But if it makes you feel warmer then go for it. The placebo effect is real and it can fool the mind and body.

As I said complete flush and marginal benifit.

It is actually worse than that. The biggest problem is perspiration raises the humidity in the suit so much that the 30% gain from pure dry Argon over dry air is more than negated.

Times as conductive as airW/(m·K)Name
1.0​
0.024​
Air (gas)
0.7​
0.016​
Argon (gas)
0.6​
0.0146​
Carbon dioxide (gas)
5.9​
0.142​
Helium (gas)
7.0​
0.168​
Hydrogen (gas)
90.8​
2.18​
Ice (0°C, 32°F)
1.0​
0.024​
Nitrogen
1.0​
0.024​
Oxygen
24.2​
0.58​
Water

Purging the suit with air over Helium is certainly justified based on thermal conductivity and cost.

Since you're likely diving in Monterey, you could just get an argon fill at Aquarius. I'm unsure if the other Monterey shops have argon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom