Where to dive when Coz port closes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ferries were shut down when we got hit by El norte in 2019 and we swore we'd never go to cozumel in December again. Thanks for clarifying.
There must have been something else in play that time. WeatherUnderground records from airport reports (if accurate) show winds getting over 20 mph some on the 18th thru 20th, but the ferries generally only shut down for hurricanes and tropical storms.

It's all luck in the winter. I've made a few winter trips there in the last couple of decades and only been blown out one morning. Still, blowouts happen everywhere from time to time, and they're more likely in Cozumel in the winter. It's tempting to want to go as a break from winter in the US, but you'd be safer betting on horses whose records are more likely to predict results. And then there are the extra hassles of winter travel. I like to go in the summer to cool off and enjoy lower hotel prices. Hurricanes are a risk then, but they're more predictable.

When the port is closed and Aldora is going out on the other side, they take care of people who were already booked with them, And if you're lucky you might find a spot. We weren't.

To the person who said to go do the cenotes, when the port is closed everything's shut down including the ferry
I'm here now Diving with Aldora divers (Staying at Villa Aldora). I got a note yesterday saying that they are currently not diving the East Side due to some permit SNAFU.
I have to say, as someone who has been over there, and seeing what it takes to get boats and gear over there.... Diving the East side of the island is a logistical problem to say the least.
On a positive note....
Saturday we had a couple of great dives up north. We had great proficient divers, old friends, and the best DM Liang, that made for a great boat. We slayed a few Lion Fish and saw a gaggles of Spotted Eagle Rays. It was like a National Geographic moment watching the Eagle Rays play in the current. Amazing to see the Eagle Rays. Such majestic creatures. I'll be reliving those two awesome dives in my dreams for a long time....

Hopefully the wind swings around and we can get wet tomorrow. That will be my last day of this quick trip that I'm on. I need to start planning my return!

Edit: Ferries are running. I just looked out that way and could see one leaving the pier. I've never dove there, but there is diving in Playa... Aldora works with Phantom Divers in Playa. I'm sure spots will be at a premium over there today.

I'm here now Diving with Aldora divers (Staying at Villa Aldora). I got a note yesterday saying that they are currently not diving the East Side due to some permit SNAFU.
I have to say, as someone who has been over there, and seeing what it takes to get boats and gear over there.... Diving the East side of the island is a logistical problem to say the least.
On a positive note....
Saturday we had a couple of great dives up north. We had great proficient divers, old friends, and the best DM Liang, that made for a great boat. We slayed a few Lion Fish and saw a gaggles of Spotted Eagle Rays. It was like a National Geographic moment watching the Eagle Rays play in the current. Amazing to see the Eagle Rays. Such majestic creatures. I'll be reliving those two awesome dives in my dreams for a long time....

Hopefully the wind swings around and we can get wet tomorrow. That will be my last day of this quick trip that I'm on. I need to start planning my return!

Edit: Ferries are running. I just looked out that way and could see one leaving the pier. I've never dove there, but there is diving in Playa... Aldora works with Phantom Divers in Playa. I'm sure spots will be at a premium over there today.
I believe when the 'port' is closed it's a federal closure of all waters around Cozumel. With the two recent boat sinkings (a snorkel boat and a private boat?) the Armada may be stepping up enforcement.

Cenotes sounds like a great idea. We were there first week of December and I was disappointed by the lack of fish. Lots of turtles and lobster, very few grouper and a few sharks over 14 dives.
Wow the fish life was poor
what sites did you hit?
thnx

Aldora arranged a trip with Phantom divers in Playa del Carmen. We were lucky enough to jump into that group. Turned a "what a crappy vacation day" into a fantastic adventure. Loved everything!
That is awesome!!! I'm so happy you had a good day. That is what it is all about. There are some really good people here on SB and of course at Aldora. I have been been diving with Aldora for over 22 years now. Today, I think you found out why.
Tomorrow, I'm scheduled to be on Aldora's Felicity dive boat if the port is open. I hope I see you out there.
Happy Bubbles.

Aldora arranged a trip with Phantom divers in Playa del Carmen. We were lucky enough to jump into that group. Turned a "what a crappy vacation day" into a fantastic adventure. Loved everything!
I'm glad you were able to dive. When the wind blows out diving on the northwest coast of Cozumel it's usually calm on the southeast coast of the Yucatan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom