Where to dive in/around Marathon during mini-season if not hunting lobsters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love diving. I'll dive almost any where, almost any time. I stay away from the water during mini season. People turn off their minds and go insane. It's best to stay as far from them as possible those two days.

I agree...it's even frustrating trying to DRIVE anywhere during that time!

Update for those who give a hoot: Well, I think the problem's mostly solved. My non-diving-ex-wife (we're OK, still do family stuff with the kids together) who was the one who actually planned the location and dates of this trip says that she has plans with my daughters and son on the two days of mini season. So I've booked a 3 tank dive (with an on-board cookout!) for me and the kids the day after mini season with the Looe Key Dive Resort to the protected reef. Looks like the days of mini-season for me will be spent poolside with rum drinks.

Hopefully, the drive from Marathon to Ramrod Key will be do-able the day after mini ends. 32 miles to drive and we have to be there at 9am. Is traffic still crazy then? Or is everybody hung over and sleeping in? I'm allowing an hour and a half to get there.

Thanks again everyone for all your suggestions and warnings.

Dammit, I'm still going to have fun.

Mini Season is a great way to get more of those little red cross merit badges for diver saves rescues to sew on your wetsuit though.

Hi,

So I've booked a 3 tank dive (with an on-board cookout!) for me and the kids with the Looe Key Dive Resort to the protected reef.

Just wondering a little more info about this. We are looking to do the exact same thing for our family of divers/snorkeler mix. I see Looe Key Resort offers a 3 tank day, but I didnt see anything about a cookout. Can you share a little info? Is the charter with Looe Key Resort/Kokomo Cat , or another smaller dive op? Did you have to call to ask for the cookout ?
Thanks for any help........
Rog

Last edited:
Last November my brother, my son and I dove with Looe Key resort on Ramrod key. They cooked up hotdogs, chicken, sloppy joes etc.. Drinks and snacks were also available. The price for lunch is very reasonable and saves you from having to pack food. You also get the most bang for your buck, $80 buys you almost 3 hrs of bottom time on some of the most pristine reef in the Keys.

Thanks, pjohnson. I see they offer hotdogs,candy and drinks, I just didnt invision a cookout as per their website description. That would be perfect if they do it. I wonder if we would have to ask for this service, or if they do it every trip??? Maybe I will give em a call.
Thanks again.........
Rog

Hi,

Just wondering a little more info about this. We are looking to do the exact same thing for our family of divers/snorkeler mix. I see Looe Key Resort offers a 3 tank day, but I didnt see anything about a cookout. Can you share a little info? Is the charter with Looe Key Resort/Kokomo Cat , or another smaller dive op? Did you have to call to ask for the cookout ?
Thanks for any help........
Rog
fins_up,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I was out diving today. YAY!

When I called the Looe Key Dive Center for reservations, I was told the cookout actually is on the Kokomo Cat II between dives two and three, and it's standard for their 3-tank/location dives. The woman I talked to said it's the captain and crew who do the grilling.

A hot lunch clinched it for me.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom