Where to dive in/around Marathon during mini-season if not hunting lobsters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrdavis_jupfl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I and my kids got OW certified this past year and have planned our first trip from Jupiter to Marathon Key to do some diving. As it turns out, the dates of it straddle lobster mini-season with a day on each side. As we will not be participating, and would like to avoid the frenzy(?), does anyone have a suggestion as to where/with what outfit we could dive just to see the sights and sea life? Have a car and don't mind driving a few miles.

I will try my hand at lobstering in the future because the little buggers are mighty tasty. Just not on this trip.

Thanks, all.

Not sure of the outfits there, but there are some nice reefs and if you like wrecks, there's the Thunderbolt. It is about 45' to the top in 115' of water, it's a great dive in the 50' - 75' range.

I'm sure someone here can give you some details on who to use..

Have you actually booked your trip? Most, if not all, motels will have minimum stays and their most expensive rates. Most are probably already sold out or close to it. Most, if not all, dive ops will be taking people to lobster. Restauraunts and bars are packed and rowdy. Mini-season is pretty much crazy. My favorite ops in Marathon are Tilden's and Dive Duck key (up the road about 10 minutes).

You might drive south to dive Looe Key, that's a sanctuary and nobody will be taking bugs from it.

If you have any flexibility in your dates, I'd avoid the Keys during this time period - the crowds, traffic, etc - also as Matt points out, many hotels have minimum stay requirements - and the rates do not reflect their "budget" season!

This is Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, New Years, and Groundhog Day for Keys dive and hotel operators - and I'm not exagerating, as anyone who has been there will tell you the same thing.

If I was not going down to lobster, I would not go - if you can, think about another time.

Jupiter 31 is right. I owned a home in the Keys for a few years and I stayed up in Broward for mini-season!!! Way too crazy down there at that time.

You gotta love the huge banner across US1.

"Welcome Lobster Hunters!!"

And on the backside should say - "Car Search Check point ahead".

Mini-season is wild in the Keys.

Thanks everyone.

I've already booked the trip but I got the normal 'non-mini-season' rate from the Flamingo Inn in Marathon since I'm staying before and after the season. Maybe they goofed?

The craziness of the bars and such shouldn't be a problem as my son is turning 21 during our trip and my younger daughters are staying with their mom at her hotel except when we go diving.

DebbyDiver - Thanks! I just found out about Looe Key and I think we'll definitely give it a look.

Anyway, in spite of the madness of the time I am determined to have a great time!

Not sure of the outfits there, but there are some nice reefs and if you like wrecks, there's the Thunderbolt. It is about 45' to the top in 115' of water, it's a great dive in the 50' - 75' range.

I'm sure someone here can give you some details on who to use..

The shallowest area of the thunderbolt is actually about 70 ft and most of the diving around the ship is 85+ ft. Might not want to dive this wreck, if taking children or new divers

I love diving. I'll dive almost any where, almost any time. I stay away from the water during mini season. People turn off their minds and go insane. It's best to stay as far from them as possible those two days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom