Where next???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I echo the Panhandle as good diving, and not nearly as long a drive for you. by now it should be almost warm enough. Orange Beach and Pensacola are my day-trip places, not great coral, but good wrecks, operators, atmosphere, beaches.

Jupiter you might find is (in general) a little more advanced, do-your-own-thing diving than you might want as a newbie, deeper dives and spearos shooting stuff. I like it, and my spearo friends, but I started out at West Palm Beach nearby which is a bit more PG-13.

There are lots of operators both in the West Palm/Jupiter area and in the Keys. Different operators cater to different levels of diver, and both areas have shallow and deep and advanced and beginner sites. I agree with the poster who suggested some of each if you can swing it. The Jupiter drift dives are lots of fun, floating along the reefs letting the current carry you, and plenty safe, just surface, inflate your SMB, and the boat comes and picks you up. The Keys reefs give lots of variety, and the Spiegel Grove is a pretty awesome wreck dive. I find both preferable to the gulf if you've got the time to make the drive over and down.

The Florida Springs dives (Ginnie Springs, Crystal River, Devil's Den, Blue Grotto) are definitely worth a visit, easy, and close to you, but I'd save them for the winter months when the 72 degree water is warmer than the ocean. (Everyone on my trip used 5mm Farmer Johns + 5 mm Shorties + boots to stay warm in the springs, and most wanted hoods too.) In the summer I'm sure the ocean or Gulf is better.

Edited to add: Plus, who would want to wear all of that neoprene on the surface during the Florida summer? Not me! We were getting quite overheated on the walk to the springs even when it was only 80 degrees out!

We booked Islamorado toward the end of June!

I am guessing dive in trunks and t-shirt or does everyone still wear wetsuits?

I was certified last November (on my 41st B-Day by the way) at Blue Grotto and Devils Den, have been in the pool at the Dive shop twice since then and really looking forward to doing some "real" diving again.

Mike

Thanks Net Doc

Seems Dive Locker in Panama City Beach does charters all winter--I did one in Feb. last year. This past March I did a private one out of Gautier, MS that took us to wrecks S. of Gulf Shores, AL. Water was warm enough THEN for shortie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom