Sudden and complete hearing loss from freediving. No "pop," no pain but now deaf in one ear for more than a week.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do understand how gases work with permeable membranes. But I'm startled to hear that for topical treatment, there is no benefit to 100% O2 at the surface and that all benefit comes from respiration regardless of the type of location of the affected area.

If that is truly the case, then those strip mall party chambers with masks would be just as effective as the individual cylinders.
I'm not sure I'm following you here. What do you mean by individual cylinders?

The one-person cylindrical chambers that use 100% O2 ambient, as opposed to (typically sit-up) room style chambers that use standard air at pressure and only provide 100% O2 through masks for the multiple participants.

Here is just one article describing oxygen uptake by the skin. Granted it speaks only to the effect on the skin itself (which helps explain wound efficacy at 100% O2) but perhaps that's not the only benefit...?

The one-person cylindrical chambers that use 100% O2 ambient, as opposed to (typically sit-up) room style chambers that use standard air at pressure and only provide 100% O2 through masks for the multiple participants.
Ah ok. The individual cylinders you're talking about are monoplace hyperbaric chambers. There's a huge difference between those and the "mild hyperbaric" chambers that you find in the nail salons and spas. The latter are pressurized to maybe 1.3-1.5 ATA with air, and may or may not deliver oxygen via mask. They have fancy websites that use the literature on true hyperbaric oxygen, which is delivered with 100% O2 at at least 2.0 ATA, to advertise their products. They are ineffective, very poorly regulated, and become extremely dangerous when they use O2. Monoplace hyperbaric chambers are used for clinical hyperbaric oxygen; many can go to 2.8 ATA / 60 fsw.

Best regards,
DDM

Here is just one article describing oxygen uptake by the skin. Granted it speaks only to the effect on the skin itself (which helps explain wound efficacy at 100% O2) but perhaps that's not the only benefit...?

That's about when the topical O2 phenomenon started. It doesn't penetrated deeply into the tissues and there's not much literature to support it. Here's a link to the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) position statement on topical O2; it's from 2005 but not a lot has changed w/r to clinical evidence for it.

Best regards,
DDM

I also had ISSNHL, while getting in a taxi on the way to the airport for a dive trip to Cayman Brac.. No hearing in right ear. No treatment for about 10 days until I could get to my ENT after the trip. They refused HBOT as too late and not allowed. Prednisone shots to inner ear. Hearing has returned BUT NOT SPEECH COMPREHENSION. I score much lower now on word comprehension tests in that ear than in my other ear.

I also had ISSNHL, while getting in a taxi on the way to the airport for a dive trip to Cayman Brac.. No hearing in right ear. No treatment for about 10 days until I could get to my ENT after the trip. They refused HBOT as too late and not allowed. Prednisone shots to inner ear.
Injections into your ear?!?

:eek:o_O

If PLF is suspected then immediate surgery is indicated. Surgery is also (kind of ironically) the only way to definitively diagnose PLF. If that's what is suspected, then they should have you on complete bed rest and stool softeners to prevent straining prior to surgery.

That's what has me really concerned--the ENT seemed to think it was fine to just do an additional 6 days of 60mg prednisone (which would put me at 9 days on 60mg and nearly three weeks post-incident), taper to 20mg for two days, then see him for a follow up 2-3 days after that (putting me well over three weeks post incident). Even though he said it was very likely PLF, surgery and bed rest weren't even on his radar. He said this type of case is so rare that there isn't a protocol for it. I printed out the two articles I attached upthread, highlighted the sections mentioning the urgency of surgery for suspected PLF resulting from barotrauma, and asked the receptionist to scan them into my chart. Not holding my breath (haha!) for a follow-up on that.

I'm very worried my window of opportunity for regaining my hearing is rapidly dwindling--the technician who did my audiogram yesterday said something along the lines of "wow, your left ear is completely trashed." Maybe the test results will spur some faster action?

Anyway I did locate an otologist here on Oahu and I've circled back with my PCP to try to get a referral directly to him--from his website it looks like he is more likely to be up to date on how to handle a case like mine.

Big thanks @Duke Dive Medicine for the feedback and info!

I'm very worried my window of opportunity for regaining my hearing is rapidly dwindling
Thinking positively... my wife's doctors said the odds of recovery are much better within two weeks. They very clearly DIDN'T say that, after exactly 14 days, all hope was lost. So there's a sliding scale that goes asymptotic, not brick wall to zero.

No one is a stronger advocate than yourself. Keep at it. Please report back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom