Where do you have your compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My console has everything. Computer and guages and compass..

I prefer it as its not some thing I need to stare at non stop.. I have them clipped to me and unclip if I am navigating or coming up

I'm with you, the console is the best solution. And you don't need to fiddle with bungees on right and left wrists, all the displays being in one place. With the new Miflex hose this is even more appealing.

Adam

I wear my computer on my right wrist, that way I can monitor my depth as I'm adding or dumping air during my ascent/descent.

I wear my compass mounted on my left wrist (with a bungee set-up, rather than straps....but similar idea). Personally, I do not like console gauges as they are usually in the way (dangling on the ground), but not conveniently placed so I can see them exactly when I want to.

Yup. That's it.

Thanks for all of the responses guys. It's some good stuff to think about.

I wear my computer on my right wrist, that way I can monitor my depth as I'm adding or dumping air during my ascent/descent.

I wear my compass mounted on my left wrist (with a bungee set-up, rather than straps....but similar idea). Personally, I do not like console gauges as they are usually in the way (dangling on the ground), but not conveniently placed so I can see them exactly when I want to.

I like the idea of shifting the dive computer to the right wrist and putting the compass on the left wrist. I don't want to be the person with gauges dragging in the mud but I want a simpler way of checking my heading than unclipping from my D ring, holding the compass out to check the heading and then clipping back onto the D ring.

I bought my gauge console used and there aren't any indications of brand. It appears to be this one based on the markings though it seems like the same design is rebranded somehow by multiple manufacturers. Should something like this work then? I'm guessing my compass wouldn't work with the SK7 mount from DSS.

compass on left arm, boton timer, primary and backup on right arm

Thanks for all of the responses guys. It's some good stuff to think about.
I'm guessing my compass wouldn't work with the SK7 mount from DSS.

It absolutely will not work.

It is not just the fit into the boot. The floating part of the compass of an SK7 has a tiny protrusion on it that fits into a tiny groove on the inside of the bezel. The bezel has a tiny protrusion in its base that fits into a tiny groove on the mount. Without all these things in alignment, turning the top part of the bezel turns the bottom part of the bezel, the floating center, or both. This makes the compass of no value.

I emphasize the word tiny because not only must things align, the mount must be very, very tight fitting, or the protrusion in the bezel will just slip out of the groove on the mount when you try to turn it. The bezel can even slide right out of the mount.

Believe me, I know. I recently loaned my compass to someone, and the bezel came off underwater and was lost. I got a replacement, and a whole group of us tried repeatedly to get it back in place so it would not slip. I could not get it right. I left it for a week in frustration, and then I tried to work on it again and saw that it seems to be OK. My theory is that the mount was beaten up and stretched by all the work we did and slowly came back to shape over time.

During that week I met someone else with a DSS mount, and he has had the bezel fall out several times. He also says it sometimes slips while he is trying to use it.

In retrospect, I think I would try to thread the bungees through the wrist strap slot if I had it to do over again. The original Suunto mount is extremely tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom