Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today? What's today anyway? I've been solo diving my life away here on Bonaire till the Wife/dive buddy gets here in a week or so.... This month on Bonaire is going to be hard to leave....

Jim...

A usual place on NS East Coast-- Tangier. Water temps. STILL 61F and air 70! What, is it still August? Got 2 flounders and 15 Atl. Deep Sea Scallops.

Hey Frontpointer1000,

I fly with my ponies regularly. South Pacific, Central Pacific, Honduras, Costa Rica, Florida several times, Mexico, USVI, and other places. No problems.

markm

Im sold. Next week ill fly with my pony.

Or, as my youngest daughter would say: "fly with your little pony."

Does it take any extra time at the airport? How do you prep the pony and what do dive shops say/do when you show up with a removed valve?

I just put the bottle in my suitcase with a plastic plug in the neck and the valve in a plastic bag... Didn't say a word, Check right through... Put the value on and just told the girl filling it... It's empty...

They check hydro date and filled it.. Now, I've been using the same dive shop down in Bonaire for a few years... That may have made my life and fill a lot easier..

Jim

I just put the bottle in my suitcase with a plastic plug in the neck and the valve in a plastic bag... Didn't say a word, Check right through... Put the value on and just told the girl filling it... It's empty...

They check hydro date and filled it.. Now, I've been using the same dive shop down in Bonaire for a few years... That may have made my life and fill a lot easier..

Jim

Yeah ditto to oldschoolto,

I put the pony in my checked bag (right on top for easy inspection) and its valve in my regulator bag that I carry on.

I don't tell the fill attendant anything except: "Fill please." Use a flashlight to make sure you don't have FOD in the bottle before you cork it.

markm

I just use clear plastic tape on the tank so the TSA idiot can look inside. They usually end up taking the tape off anyway.

Oh.. And don't put a dive computer by the tank with a charger and the extra wire stuffed in the tank... You my never see the bag again... And will most likely miss your flight....

Jim..

I did a lovely pair of solo dives yesterday ... first one for 82 minutes to 122 feet, the second for 63 minutes to 80 feet. This was the first week-end in October that's given us decent weather ... in fact it was a gorgeous day to be out diving. As a result, the dive site was filled to capacity. But once I submerged I didn't see a single other diver on either dive ... it was like I had the whole place to myself. It was glorious. First dive I went down to some cloud sponges sitting between 105 and 125, looking for the decorated warbonnets that make their home there. I spent a lot of time below 100 feet ... enough to incur about 15 minutes of deco obligation which I spent photographing wolf eels and nudibranchs in the shallows on the wall above. Second dive I went on "tour" ... swimming away from the structure where all the other divers were, and just looking for small things in the muck. At one point I came across a whole field of nudibranchs mating and laying eggs on kelp leafs. And then there were my favorite little squat lobsters ... with their painted-on smiley faces ... they always make me chuckle. I was definitely in my happy place.

Overall a great day. Later today I'll be heading north, for Anacortes, to do a solo scooter dive at another of my favorite sites. Gotta take advantage of any nice days we get this time of year, after all.

Some pics from yesterday ...

IMG_7698.JPG
IMG_7793.JPG
IMG_7796.JPG
IMG_7802.JPG

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom