Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea it's a pretty good spot. it's about 50ft from my living room out the door wall.
You on the St Clair River??

This was an unusual and memorable little dive. I dived solo in a terminal sump of a newly discovered cave. The sump was close to the entrance. Not more than 60 feet from open air. That 60 feet included a committing flat out crawl however, and an awkward side ways dry squeeze prior to a constricted climb down to the water. I was having second thoughts, but decided to do the dive anyway. I'm not really a fan of tight spaces, but the pool was uncharted territory...

The dive site was not more than two feet wide and seven feet deep (but longer) and visibility was of course nil. My task was to investigate the walls for a possible continuation (which was found). No room for a second diver. OK, big dive, my toes were on the surface :D but little does that offer comfort would one get stuck head down. I spent almost half an our submerged.

Gear used: side mounted 7L cylinders (too big), a helmet, no fins.

Below: Image of the dive site (water at the bottom of the rift not quite visible)
full

Last edited:
Commercial Blvd 2nd reef today. Viz was not the best...15' avg. Clouds moved in as I entered, big storm blew while under. Plenty of lightening. Pucker factor increased for sure. I planned on rolling to the 3rd reef, but bagged that idea after getting in. Shore support was not pleased when I surfaced. :letsparty:
139 minutes on independent doubles [AL80's]. Saw the usual 3-5 nurse sharks that inhabit the area. I planned on keeping one vacant conch shell, and found one eventually. Not too long after that, I ran across a fair sized green moray. Not common on 1st or 2nd reefs. He was curious, almost coming completely out of his lair. I gave up on his exodus, so moved on. About 5 minutes later I look back and he is within inches of the bag in my hand with the shell. I moved off the reef to the sand and he didn't pursue.
Apparently, I needed to ask for permission or something.

Did a nice bit of solo diving off a friend's boat on Saturday, at a site that was new to me. He had a drysuit flood on our first dive, and so on the way to our second site told me he was going to give it a try ... but if he got cold he'd bail and I could continue the dive on my own. He bailed about 10 minutes into the dive. I ended up exploring the site on my own for about an additional 45 minutes or so before heading back to the boat. Nice place ... it's a treat to find new dive sites so close to home. But the downside is that I missed what he considers the "best spot" at the site. Just means we'll have to go back, I guess ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm working in Gillette, WY for the week. I brought my gear just in case I was able to break away. Well I had the day free yesterday so I took a drive to the Black Hills of South Dakota and dove a locals' favorite: Pactola Lake. They have about ten well-known dive sites a the lake (including a tiny island called Alcatraz), I was told Pactola Point is a cool place. Elevation was 4850, water temp 58-59 F, vis ranged from 5-20 feet, depending on depth. I hit 53 feet, wore my 5/7 wet suit and the water felt great. Fun dive, started to rain then storm as I came up, eery with waves and rain coming down, then fog. LDS had a small alum 50 and alum 80 - luckily I had brought some extra gear to make another sling for the mini 50. Very quiet, peaceful dive. I look forward to hitting all the dive sites at this mountainous lake, even though its 2.5 hours from where I am working.

... and they filled my pony.

Ninelinegoby - just wondering about traveling with your pony. Did you fly down with it? I've been contemplating traveling more with my pony and just wondering what your experience is.

Ninelinegoby - just wondering about traveling with your pony. Did you fly down with it? I've been contemplating traveling more with my pony and just wondering what your experience is.

Hey Frontpointer1000,

I fly with my ponies regularly. South Pacific, Central Pacific, Honduras, Costa Rica, Florida several times, Mexico, USVI, and other places. No problems.

markm

I Solo dived Gilboa Quarry last Saturday. It is a nice place to dive considering it is landlocked.

Big fish, nice wrecks, and plenty of divers to talk with.

markm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom