Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was a tough week in SE Florida. I managed to get out in Boynton Beach or Jupiter Monday the 17th through yesterday the 22nd. Best solo dives were in Boynton Beach on the 21st when visibility was about 80 ft on dives from 007 crossing over to Clubhouse and Sharkies Ledge crossing over to Briney Breezes. Nurse Sharks, Hawksbill and Loggerhead Turtles, Green and Spotted Morays, and all the usual reef fish.

Diving with my brother last week in Aruba. Not strictly solo diving, we were "diving with Clive" and my brother, being a relatively new diver, usually had to thumb the dive about 40ish minutes each time. Clive being Clive would wave bye and I'd get another 20-25 minutes on the tail end solo.

I loved these quiet, reflective moments to myself. It was so enjoyable diving with my brother, yet I was never at peace completely because I was watching him, being a good buddy, and he's a newbie diver so I was hopefully more brother and less father on those dives. Unshackled from that innate tension, I found the quiet solo moments refreshing, contemplative, freeing.

We dove Arashi Reef, the Antilla, Sponge Reef and the airplanes. Turtles, spotted and green moray eels, a couple lion fish, and all the typical Caribbean marine life. The Antilla was mesmerizing.

Two interesting experiences:
I brought a DIN to yoke converter, expecting there would be little DIN valves available, which worked out great. However, I was absolutely unable to find a shop that had a DIN converter to fill my pony for solo. Consequently, I did not dive with a pony. I had to reconfigure my regs to have a traditional accessory secondary stage regulator which irritated me on every dive bc I didn't like how the hoses were running, but that's a different issue.

This did mean, however, that I was diving solo without a redundant air source. This really pissed me off because a) I almost always dive with a back up, and b) I had brought my pony specifically for this purpose. Consequently the solo portions of my dive were relatively shallow (50-25 feet). I'll always travel with a DIN compressor converter now.

The other issue was the Aruban security went crazy with me traveling back to the states with an open, unvalved cylinder. I usually carry it on. They said no. I explained they were misinformed, please get an airline agent (Delta in this case). The agent showed up and said the cylinder had to be checked. I explained I didn't want it checked because I was afraid it would be mishandled and she needed to learn the Airlines policies which clearly allow me to take an open cylinder onboard. She left for 15 minutes and came back, allowed me to board with the cylinder and wished us safe travels. I've never encountered issues before like this but it reflects (on both accounts) how Aruba seems to be a vacationer's dive spot, they certainly are not used to pony diving.

When I first showed up with my pony, I was asked, "so you use that to extendbottom time? You an air hog?" - always a sign to me that they are unaccustomed to redundant air sources.

Nonetheless, two menial hiccups in an otherwise beautiful dive experience.

:) Or just use one of these...

Tank Equalizer for $2.50

One end to your primary first stage then the other to the pony first stage. Easy peasy!

Wow, no posts in this thread for more than 7 months, I'll restart it

I was recently in Bonaire with my wife. She wasn't feeling well the afternoon of December 9, so I went by myself for an hour and half on Bari Reef. I know the reef quite well, the dive was incredibly relaxing and peaceful. I didn't see another diver the whole time. There were Tarpon, Horse-Eye Jacks, all the usual reef fish. The highlights were a beautiful Green Turtle and an octopus near the end of the dive. A great dive :)

upload_2017-12-21_9-24-18.png

upload_2017-12-21_9-24-48.png

Wow, no posts in this thread for more than 7 months, I'll restart it

I was recently in Bonaire with my wife. She wasn't feeling well the afternoon of December 9, so I went by myself for an hour and half on Bari Reef. I know the reef quite well, the dive was incredibly relaxing and peaceful. I didn't see another diver the whole time. There were Tarpon, Horse-Eye Jacks, all the usual reef fish. The highlights were a beautiful Green Turtle and an octopus near the end of the dive. A great dive :)

View attachment 439393

View attachment 439394
Nice pics. I love soloing on that reef.

December 30 at the Poor Knights islands, New Zealand off the dive charter boat Yukon Dive. Son was doing his 3rd and 4th open water dives for certification. After taking a bit of video of him I tootled off by myself for a relaxing swim with the local sea life. All the normal critters were there (eagle rays, schools of blue maumau, snapper, rock fish and plenty of nudibranch). 20M visibility.

December 29 at Urquhart's Bay, New Zealand. Scallop dive. Very long surface swim to get back to beach. Got 18 scallops. 4M visibility.

Tomorrow (Sunday 14 January) will be solo diving back at the Poor Knights off one of the charter boats with Dive Tutukaka.

September 2017....Bonaire...solo dives in 2 tank side mount configuration off Donkey Beach and house reef (muliple dives) of house Casa Del Sol....nothing unusual noted....all the usual suspects of course....fantastic solo dives as always....

Hello All,

I solo dived the house reef at Plaza Resort Bonaire on 1/18/2018. It was relaxing and peaceful. I practiced solo diving protocols. No issues except I tangled my thumb spool a little bit when I shot my SMB. Mask off, spare mask on, manually inflated my BC, safe pony accent. All is well.

markm

Diving with my brother last week in Aruba. Not strictly solo diving, we were "diving with Clive" and my brother, being a relatively new diver, usually had to thumb the dive about 40ish minutes each time. Clive being Clive would wave bye and I'd get another 20-25 minutes on the tail end solo.

I loved these quiet, reflective moments to myself. It was so enjoyable diving with my brother, yet I was never at peace completely because I was watching him, being a good buddy, and he's a newbie diver so I was hopefully more brother and less father on those dives. Unshackled from that innate tension, I found the quiet solo moments refreshing, contemplative, freeing.

We dove Arashi Reef, the Antilla, Sponge Reef and the airplanes. Turtles, spotted and green moray eels, a couple lion fish, and all the typical Caribbean marine life. The Antilla was mesmerizing.

Two interesting experiences:
I brought a DIN to yoke converter, expecting there would be little DIN valves available, which worked out great. However, I was absolutely unable to find a shop that had a DIN converter to fill my pony for solo. Consequently, I did not dive with a pony. I had to reconfigure my regs to have a traditional accessory secondary stage regulator which irritated me on every dive bc I didn't like how the hoses were running, but that's a different issue.

This did mean, however, that I was diving solo without a redundant air source. This really pissed me off because a) I almost always dive with a back up, and b) I had brought my pony specifically for this purpose. Consequently the solo portions of my dive were relatively shallow (50-25 feet). I'll always travel with a DIN compressor converter now.

The other issue was the Aruban security went crazy with me traveling back to the states with an open, unvalved cylinder. I usually carry it on. They said no. I explained they were misinformed, please get an airline agent (Delta in this case). The agent showed up and said the cylinder had to be checked. I explained I didn't want it checked because I was afraid it would be mishandled and she needed to learn the Airlines policies which clearly allow me to take an open cylinder onboard. She left for 15 minutes and came back, allowed me to board with the cylinder and wished us safe travels. I've never encountered issues before like this but it reflects (on both accounts) how Aruba seems to be a vacationer's dive spot, they certainly are not used to pony diving.

When I first showed up with my pony, I was asked, "so you use that to extendbottom time? You an air hog?" - always a sign to me that they are unaccustomed to redundant air sources.

Nonetheless, two menial hiccups in an otherwise beautiful dive experience.

Hi Frontpointer 1000,

I know exactly what you were writing about--"air hog". Yeah, I heard it all before--"death-in-a-can"!

I finally broke down and bought the cheapest equalizer whip I could find. $140.00 and 2.5 pounds. Best money I ever spent! I found room in my bags and it will always go diving with me. I tested my pony several times and then transferred gas to keep it topped off.

No more hassles, no more waiting for the dive shop to fill tanks...someday. No more dive shop personnel forgetting to fill my bailout bottle. And, I don't have to take apart my regulators to fill my pony. You won't have DIN/yoke issues again.

The only way to go.

I liked your post.

markm

Urquharts Bay, Whangarei New Zealand.

Not one of my favorite dives. Medium strong current but doable if not venturing too far from anchor chain. Then visibility packed up and had to scrub the dive. Lots of scallops but too dangerous with the poor viz and current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom