Where can I get a replacement part.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I own 2 of those hangair drysuit driers. they work well but the 15' cords with the 120VAC-12VDC adapters seem to be pretty cruddy. 1 hanger came with one that didn't work and in my infinite wisdom I figured I could tear into it and repair it.... thats another story but needless to say I now have both hangers wired to the same adapter and after several moths I fried that adapter too.

So what I am asking is where can I get a good quality VAC to 12VDC adapter for a good price. the manufacture through a dealer wants like $20 or more depending on the dealer (heard as high as $29 from one place and the whole unit is only $35) plus shipping.

repairing this type of electrical stuff is over my head, residential wiring I can do but small stuff I cant do so well.

the part that plugs into the hanger is a cylindrical little plug thats .213" in diameter and .367" long.

Thanks

If I understand you correctly, you connected the 2 dryers in parallel and ran them off the same adapter at the same time. If that's correct, the first thing you need to do is seperate them. The power supplies like the ones you describe (we call them wall warts around work) are fairly cheap devices and typically can only handle the current they are designed for. Putting 2 in parallel doubled the load and will fry it in short order. Alternately, you can connect them to a single supply but it must be rated to handle the total current. Somewhere on the supplies you will find either a current or watt rating, find it, double it (and if it were me, I would add about 50%) then find one that can handle that current/wattage. Remeber the output voltage must be the same as the original...and current type -AC or DC. If they are just fans and/or have a small heater , an inexpensive battery charger should work also.

thanks for the advice. these units are labeled input: 100-240 VAC ~50-60Hz .30A
output: DC 12V ===1.0A

I assume the 1.0A is amps and I would need something like 2.0A or higher. I am far from an electrician so please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

Yep, you got it. As long as it's rated at 12 to14 VDC output and current of at least 2 amps or more your good. If it were me, I would shoot for a current rating of at least 3 amps. More is fine, less will only result in burned out power supplies......which you have alread found out. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom