Where are your car keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A cheaper option is the MasterLock that you can put keys in.

$25 bucks at Home Depot.

or cheaper from Amazon

Amazon.com: Master Lock Select Access Key Storage Box with Set-Your-Own Combination Lock #5400D: Home Improvement

41VQXJW03XL._SL500_AA280

c1_2.JPG
5400feature_on.jpg

Kenny.
just get that Masterlock I posted above. You can pick it up for $25 bucks and attach it anywhere on your truck or your trailer.
though.

Thanks Mike,

Thats a slick lil lock. I could attach that to the steel cable I have locking down my spare tire...........Just saved me quite a few bucks. I'll treat ya to a cold beer somewhere after diving.

Ken

Thanks Mike,

Thats a slick lil lock. I could attach that to the steel cable I have locking down my spare tire...........Just saved me quite a few bucks. I'll treat ya to a cold beer somewhere after diving.

Ken

no probelm. just didn't see any sense in spending $70 on a hitch lock and then another $130 or so on a 2nd hitch when there was a easier, better, cheaper solution.

We use the wall mounted version of that Masterlock at work to put keys in. it works pretty good.

I make my buddy drive. He has an old beater truck that no one would even dream of stealing. He does have a good large tool box in the back that has a combination lock where we can store gear etc.

When i go shore diving, i have to tuck my car key somewhere safe. I usually take the key off the key ring and put it in the key holder provided behind my wetsuit.

but out of curiosity, those who do majority of diving via shore, where do you put your car keys? and especially for those that have the new electronic keys (mercedes and etc.), where do you put your key? i'm sure no one here goes diving with electronic keyless entry remote...right?

who hides their keys in the tire hub cap? or anywhere near the car, for that matter?

thanks for responding...i was just wondering how i should better store my keys.

funny you mention diving with electronic keys...a buddy of mine was doing dm duties for a class, and had to get something out of the instructor's (also a friend of ours) car (new chevy suburban). he tucked the keys into his wetsuit and forgot about them...until he was in the middle of our dive :) the keys made it down to 60ft and back and STILL WORKED when we went back and checked. it was awesome. go chevy for making a scuba-resistant key fob!

I always wondered what others do. I can't believe that some people actually take electronic car keys in the water with them. Pockets/plastic pouches/drysuits--doesn't matter. Why risk wetting a key with a chip in it, when without having it working means your car doesn't start. Or, you can make an old time metal copy that will open the door but not turn the engine over. Of course, this will set off the alarm! So, I usually look at the surrounding area for other folks possibly watching. Then I decide--under a rock? under a rock in the weeds? Buried in sand with a stick lying over the spot? Or under the car somewhere --but you must watch if anyone's observing you. Sometimes just on the inside of the wheel on the ground. It CAN be a puzzle!

I have a car key that is attached to a clip. This clip gets attached to the D ring on my BCD. Problem solved, but I have an older car model year 2000.

I dive dry so my key goes in whatever shorts Im wearing in a small otter box. Its an electronic key. Between the dry suit, my bear suit and the otter box I'm not overly concerned with anything happening to it.

I'm probably a fool,.... but when I'm at the local quarry, I leave my keys right in the ignition. Everyone knows who's car is who's & I'm a regular there. No one bothers anyone else's stuff there. There is just a mutual understanding of those there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom