Where are your car keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on the key. Some of the transponder RFID chips are molded right into the plastic and therefore are sealed. Some of the older ford transpoders are inserted into the key head and and cover snapped into place. Sometimes these would fall causing even more problems.

Now heed the following advice. For I am a locksmith and I know what I am talking about.

Depending on the make of the vehicle you may be able to get just a mechanical key for the door. Leave the exspensive to copy and even more exspensive option of having la ocksmith come out, make the key and then program it into said vehicle, inside the vehicle. Your mechanical key will get you in. Even less expensive to have someone come out and unlock your car to get the working key than to make one from scratch.

There are only a handful of cars that are "dealer only" to copy keys or make replacement keys when they are lost. A good automotive locksmith will be able to tell you whether your vehicle falls into that catagory.

Dont wait hours for your roadside service company to send some one out for lost keys, lock outs, flat tires etc. Call who ever you want and then submit the invoice to said service company for reimbursement up to your coverage limit.

OK, now everyone tell me where and when you're going diving, and I'll go car shopping!

I just lock my keys inside my truck, under the seat, past the McDonalds receipt, under the candy wrapper just to the left of the french fry. Don't reach to the right of the fry:no.... I'm not sure what that is....:confused:

Seriously tho', I do lock them in, and I have one of those "hide-a-key" magnetic cases, that sticks to the truck frame.... "somewhere". And it hides a key that will only open the doors but not start the ignition. So it ain't goin' nowhere unless your brave enough to reach under the seat....:D

It's worked so far...

I'm about to weld a hitch receiver to my dive trailer, then buy me a slide in combination key tray so I can safely store a key.

I've thought about replacing my receiver hitch all together with one that has an extra spot for a hitch accessory. like this one, but presently I use an extended hitch so I can open my tailgate. I'm not sure this one has enough length, but I think it may be worth the effort to check.

Dive Safe!

Ken

I carry the smallest size water-resistent box in my bcd pocket and still leave the keyless entry inside my car. Sorry guys, you won't be getting my car unless you can get my key our for the box inside my bcd lol.

Last edited:
i usually do cold water dives so i put the key in my pocket under my dry suit.
i could suggest one of those water tight cases though. heard they work great, just keep the case attached to your BCD

Thanks to who ever got this thread going again. I'm usually hiding the keys behind the tire but it's not like I had a plan.

Back
Top Bottom