When your gear was stolen...

What kind of bag was your equipment stolen from?

• A clearly marked and expensive looking dive bag

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • An unmarked dive bag

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A clearly marked scuba hard case

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • An unmarked hard case

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A regular suitcase or duffle bag

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A regulator bag

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zboss

Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out if there is a pattern to the types of bags that are commonly targeted by thieves from the airlines, especially international...

option for -gear yet to be stolen...still knocking on wood

Nothing stolen yet.
I do carry-on the smaller expensive items.
And pack the rest in a crappy looking duffle bag.
I would never pack in a clearly marked "scuba" bag.
Unless of course I wanted it stolen.
I did get $2500 from Spirit Airlines for loosing my golf clubs.
That case was easily identifiable.

Just a scuba knife on the island of Baltra in the Galapagos at customs. They didn't even tell me they went in the bag and took it. No diving knives allowed. I didn't even notice it was gone until a day later on the boat. Since that's all that's ever been stolen I'd consider myself VERY lucky.

Jason

It doesn't have much value at the pawnshop.

OTOH, camera gear is pretty expensive, can be turned into cash more easily, and divers are known to carry some pretty good camera gear.

I've had a bags delayed a few times, including one that took 10 days to catch up with me, but never had anything stolen.

Charlie

So far I have been lucky and not had any dive gear stolen. I do travel with Armor dive bags, but they are completely black and I have removed all of the decals. So they now look like regular tourists luggage.

My son travels with a lot of Tec gear but he uses his old military duffel bags with ample padding. No problems as yet. He lived on St. Thomas for a couple of years and told me that the dive bags with all of the logos are the bags most stolen.

Enjoy the ride
:mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom