When will PST start shipping?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They keep putting back dates and so many people are waiting on tanks, i would be shocked if much comes out til the fall. When i first looked into it back in march i was told may, then in april-may time i was told august and i am still being told that by a few LDS's. Only thing going are some 100's and 119's partly due to people wanting the 120's or 130's more (as evidenced here too). So you will have to either make do with one of those sizes, keep hoping or like me, just wait it out and dive what you can in the meantime. I hate to be a doom-merchant, but these are reports i hear due to my interest in steels and what i guess is that even august is an optimistic date, sure it will get pushed back again.

Interesting... I had serious questions about PST some time back when my 10-year old HP120 PST tank failed hydro (miserably, I should add). Is the Chinese monopoly on steel the only real reason, or have they had other problems? I wrote the owner many months ago and received no response although their sales manager (?) did post on this board.

Dr. Bill

simbrooks:
They keep putting back dates and so many people are waiting on tanks, i would be shocked if much comes out til the fall. When i first looked into it back in march i was told may, then in april-may time i was told august and i am still being told that by a few LDS's. Only thing going are some 100's and 119's partly due to people wanting the 120's or 130's more (as evidenced here too). So you will have to either make do with one of those sizes, keep hoping or like me, just wait it out and dive what you can in the meantime. I hate to be a doom-merchant, but these are reports i hear due to my interest in steels and what i guess is that even august is an optimistic date, sure it will get pushed back again.

I was looking at the E-7 100s for non-technical reef diving because of their excellent weight/size/gas stats but after looking at the same stats for the 120's and 130's it seems that these are not as compelling...

Are these tanks being using primarily in a non-primary role?

I heard PST has a couple of things going against them:

1) Steel shortage has affected prices (and possibly supply??).
2) PST is apparently having issues with their hot dipped galvanized process.
3) PST severely underestimated demand for the product.

I've been told scuba tanks for PST is such a small percentage of their overall business it doesn't receive the same attention. Production runs for tanks I believe are fairly lengthy. So September is the next time frame for tanks. Of course no guarantees :)

oharag

PS I went ahead and purchased OMS LP 108's. This will hold me over for a bit. Maybe I'll consider PST in the coming years. I'll wait till this hole thing calms done a bit.

zboss:
I was looking at the E-7 100s for non-technical reef diving because of their excellent weight/size/gas stats but after looking at the same stats for the 120's and 130's it seems that these are not as compelling...
The 100's are good tanks, same size, little more air vol and lighter than the AL80's, but if you can buy something just a few #'s heavier and get another 20-30cuft of air, but still manageable to double up then you buy those. Non-tech, you dont really need more than 100cuft, for tech, the more gas the merrier and they are the largest generally accepted size, although there are 149's (LP-120's) around - woah they look huge. :wink:

Didnt realize there were internal issues with PST or that their hot dipping was any real trouble (something environmental i heard), but i thought it was better than getting an OMS with chipping paint?

Interesting on the hot dip problems. Since I dive salt water exclusively, I wanted a PST. Will now have to look elsewhere (but am not happy with a painted tank).

Doc

My LDS called and told me they PST would be shipping the end of this month. Now granted the order was placed in April.Some of the issues PST is having is they are being forced to move by the city(revitalization program). They have been fighting this issue for about 3 years and I think they have finnally lost ground.(Just what I've read)
Dive Safe, Butch

PST routinely has problems with delivery dates - this situation has happened on a number of ocassions in the past. There are always excuses: problems with the City (their plant has been condemned), problems with the process (all of the sudden the hot dipper doesn't work), problems with the price of tea (or steel) in China, etc.

The fact remains, they'll get to them when they get to them and probably not before. The last time I had them back-order tanks for me it was four months before they showed up. Tradition has it sometime mid- to late-summer, just in time to get the gear broken in around here before the snow starts to fly.

Good gear, rotten customer service, why does that sound familiar these days???

I ordered in October 2003, the last date I saw on a PST invoice for my Back Order was June 4th. Its now June 15th. I just put my money in an envelope and locked it in my safe. When they come in, I'll be ready.

Well I got some updated info from my shop tonight. Apparently the tanks for my shop will be shipped "from PST in the next few days", I agree the E7100s are great tanks. I have a pair of them but for nitrox and in order to take full advantage of the increased bottom time with nitrox, I want a E7 120 eventually Ill get a 2d one but for now one will hold me over. I had one of my 100s O2 cleaned for nitrox when the last VIP was due yet when I know I will be on a deep dive I still go rent 120s for the extra capacity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom