When to Take AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eckybay

Princess of Dorkness
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I'm having a dilemma.

I got my OW cert back in early June. I've going diving pretty much every weekend since then and have greatly increased my buoyancy control, knowledge of all my own gear, and just general comfort in the water. One of the other local divers I know is also and instructor that is having an AOW class in August that he's asked if I'm interested in taking. The specialty dives he's planning for it are: navigation, photography, night, deep, and rescue.

However, my two dive buddies - one who got certified at the same time as me, the other's been diving a while - are both interested in taking AOWclasses at some point, but for various reasons don't want to do it right now. I'd like to take it with some one I know, so part of me says just wait. But the idea has been planted.

What's the general opinion on when to take the AOW course? Would now be the best time as far as getting the most out of the classes, or should I hold off until one of my buddies can do it, which would probably be next summer.

No! Do it now! Also, take a Buoyancy course if it's offered! No reason to wait - you're motivated, and there's no rule about when you could or should take AOW. Go for it!!!

Have fun!

CN

Best time is when you feel ready to do it, when you can do it and when you want to do it. Odds are you doing the course will probably motivate one of your buddy's to do it as well, maybe not the same course but it should spur them on.

SOunds like you are more than ready to do it. I took AOW fairly soon after OW and am glad I did. It gave me the chance to continue to dive in OW but with an instructor looking out for me. That meade me feel safer to venture out into OW. I say take it sooner than later. SOme say you will get more out of it by taking it later (after learning more on your own) but I think you can also apply what you learned in AOW to all those dives you will do AFTER it too. Learning never stops in this sport. Before or after. Have fun!

I see the PADI AOW course as OW part 2.

You know the instructor :wink: Learning to work with a new dive buddy will just be something else you gain from the class if your friends don't go. You only regret what you never do, go for it--maybe next year you'll have a sinus infection or something and won't be able to take the class. The door is open now so I wouldn't wait.
Ber :lilbunny:

They say the more you dive the better you get. Might as well learn while your diving. Do it now! I took mine 3 weeks after my OW class. Comfort level went way up afterwards.

Take your AOW as soon as you can! You sound motivated. Just before my 14th birthday I received my open water certification. Just after my 14th birthday I started my AOW. I did it as soon as possible. I wanted to be able to dive with the adults as their partner not somebody they had to look after. I had both certifications within 4 months of each other.

Thanks for the input. . .. that was pretty much the way I was leaning. Sounded like fun, it'll be a small class - 4 people max, and I'll get some different diving conditions under my belt while having an instructor there. And like Ber said, I'll probably regret it if I don't.

Well, I've only been certified since June 25th, 2006, and have 10 logged dives. And I'm taking my AOW sometime within the next 3 weeks. The LDS told me that there is a dive limitation on when you can get your card, but that won't stop you from taking the course. IMO, having the knowledge is alot better than having a stinkin' card.

Although, once you hit your required dive amount, you can just send in the request for the card!

I was all set to take it, emailed the instructor to tell him I was in . . .and then I found out I had a wedding to go to on the first day of the classes. So I guess I'll be waiting now until another one gets scheduled.

Back
Top Bottom