When to Service my Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlexRodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
OK I understand I should take my gear in for service once a year but how is this estimated? I would think this should be based on the number of dives per year not the time frame as one diver may log 100 dives in a year while the other my have 10. Can anyone help me out with this?

Alex

AlexRodriguez:
OK I understand I should take my gear in for service once a year but how is this estimated? I would think this should be based on the number of dives per year not the time frame as one diver may log 100 dives in a year while the other my have 10. Can anyone help me out with this?

Alex

There are two reasons to take your gear in for service. One is to keep the warranty in force. There is no option here, if you want to have the warranty you have to abide by the manufacturer's rules. The second reason is to be relatively sure that the gear will work when you want it to. Here you can make your own choices, but remember that the reason the manufacturer is setting rules is that they don't want their equipment to fail while you are using it either. It is called avoiding lawsuits.

Non-use is worse on gear than use. When you're using it, the parts are moving, it's getting rinsed, and there's not much chance for corrosion. Sitting on a shelf for a year collecting dust can be a lot more damaging. If you're only using your gear once a year, get it serviced right before you use it. It will definitely need it then.

I do my own servicing and expect to get at least 100 dives and at least 2 years of use between major services (for me that means I have to replace an HP or LP seat). I'm probably getting 3 to 4 years and more with just some minor tweeking. But the biggest variable is what you do in terms of cleaning, storing, and inspecting your gear. You need an IP gauge to check your reg properly and detemine its health. I have had serviced/new regs sit on a shelf (dark, climate controlled & no high O2 source) for 3+ years and check out just fine and perform flawlessly.

On the other hand, if you don't do a good job maintaining your gear, an annual service may not be enough.

Less than competent annual service can cause more problems than it fixes or prevents.

Because I use my gear in the ocean on a pretty regular basis, I service them about every 50-75 dives. Haven't had to worry about not getting those dives within a year. If you do service before a vacation, take a test dive before you go to make sure that everything is behaving properly. You'd probably be surprised to see how many regs fail right out of service.

Rachel

awap:
...I have had serviced/new regs sit on a shelf (dark, climate controlled & no high O2 source) for 3+ years and check out just fine and perform flawlessly...

But how many people store their gear that way? :06:

when your gear stops working while you're underwater you know that you passed that "due date" to have it serviced and wished you had ....... Some of my older gear i get service every year and some of my new stuff every 2 years. Many regulators are now saying 2 yrs or 200 dives ... which ever comes 1st. Change out batteries in my computer every year, do a VIP on tanks yearly (think that's a waste of money but have to do it yearly to get the tanks filled). I do an inspection of all other gear and if someting doesn't look right then take it down to my LDS for his opinion.

scubapro50:
when your gear stops working while you're underwater you know that you passed that "due date" to have it serviced and wished you had ....... Some of my older gear i get service every year and some of my new stuff every 2 years. Many regulators are now saying 2 yrs or 200 dives ... which ever comes 1st. Change out batteries in my computer every year, do a VIP on tanks yearly (think that's a waste of money but have to do it yearly to get the tanks filled). I do an inspection of all other gear and if someting doesn't look right then take it down to my LDS for his opinion.

Would you care to lay out a reasonable scenario where a well cared for regulator suddenly just stops working while you are underwater as a result of lack of an annual service? Seems to me that such a scenario is much more likely as a result of a faulty service.
Lack of service should show up in a good user inspection or a leak. The kind of leaks that are not life threatening but may shorten or interupt a dive. An immediate catostrophic failure caused by delayed annual service of an otherwise well care for regulator is quite unlikely and probably not caused by the delayed service.

Unfortunately, many service providers would like you to believe otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom