When to render assistance and when not to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An interesting discussion on one of the forums about how close we should be to our dive buddy in case they need assistance. Not talking about OOA situation just general things that happen. Some people feel the need to rush in and assist right away. I prefer to let people try to resolve their own problems especially newer divers who need those experiences and they will gain confidence in their own abilities to manage things.

The other thing is that if I see a diver with a tank slip or caught in a fishing line or tangled up in their own dsmb line ( seen that a lot ) do you immediately go to help? Does a dropped weight prevent a diver retrieving it? A lost fin well nice if someone gets that for you.
That’s a real good point. I’ve been in a few situations where some sort of aid had to be provided.

1. Had to assist a diver with gear on the surface after she had a medical emergency during a checkout dive. In this situation, it was obvious. She was unable to help herself.

2. I got to go along with my daughter on her checkout dive. She was 10 at the time. During the swim portion of one of her last checkout dives, another diver knocked her regulator out of her mouth. I was right behind her and swam to her side. It then took every bit of willpower I had to wait and watch what she did. The skills she learned kicked in, and she tried a regulator retrieval. Since the reg was in free flow, it eluded her reach. She then grabbed her octo, purged and resumed breathing. That’s what I wanted to see. Once she had self rescued, I helped her get her primary, stopped the free flow, and she switched back.

I like to let people sort themselves out if they can if they want help I assist. My son had a tank slip on a dive. He got it sorted but asked me why I didn't fix it for him. I replied I signaled if you were OK and he signaled back with the OK sign not the I have an issue signal. He called me an A hole and all sorts of things and we had a good laugh about using correct signals after the dive. I also said what if you didn't have some close by or if were in a drift dive and you were following and no one looked back? I was there to help if required and my help wasn't required or signaled for. It would have been easier for me to fix that tank slip but it would have made my lad a lazy diver lol.

What I want to know is how many pre-dive briefings and buddy checks expressly involve a discussion of what to do in the event of a mantis shrimp attack.

What I want to know is how many pre-dive briefings and buddy checks expressly involve a discussion of what to do in the event of a mantis shrimp attack.
and whether an overhand or underhand grip on a BFK is best. Should 2 BFKs be used in case there is a swarm of those vicious things?

I saw a French instructor put his finger down into a cavity a mantis shrimp was in. It didn't end up well for his finger he lost a nail. I didn't provide any assistance for his painful finger. I had one attack a dive buddy's camera housing.

One of my favorite critters and glad my TG6 has a zoom function

I’ll throw this experience into the mix here.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom