When to call a dive... a question of limits.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been an avid surfer all my life and one time I came down to go diving and I knew it was super rough. As a joke I came walking down to the boat with my surfboard (which was in the truck). We weren't going and then some of the other divers showed up and I got talked into putting my gear on the boat. Long story short, we broke loose while I was doing my dive, had to shoot a bag, super rough ladder climb . . . I have learned that if I don't want to get on the boat, just pay and leave. It is better to pay the money and go have a nice day doing something else than pay and be out there when "the tiny ship was tossed" for 12 hours.

The downside is hindsight is always a better judge. I had a near miss last weekend. Looking back now, there were multiple issues that I ignored as I had a job to do. In the end, I made a final mistake that could have ended very badly. Luckily it ended as an annoyance, but it was entirely luck.

Agreed, that it's best to call a dive at the earliest moment, including before a dive.
  • If chartered, you may be eligible for a refund or credit
  • An emergency of some sort may be traumatic for you, your family, your dive-buddy, and everyone else.
  • Your dive-buddy may thank you, whether they know it or not.
I usually solo-dive and prefer solo-diving, but will usually not turn down a buddy-dive request. There's one such dive-buddy who has been diving longer than me, but is perhaps more casual. He usually requests a buddy-dive when both him and I are around. Our other "dive-buddy" is usually off underwater before you even have one leg of your wetsuit on. He has called a couple dives. Sometimes he's feeling light-headed or otherwise not at 100%. Usually, I'm happy he's safe, and will keep an eye on him.

There has been once where I think he may have been feeling unwell before the dive, I have learned to not "peer pressure" anyone into diving who doesn't seem to be in the mood. Diving should be an enjoyable experience, and perhaps the reason someone is a little resistant is because they're tired, feeling unwell, or otherwise shouldn't be diving and don't want to talk about why.

The downside is hindsight is always a better judge. I had a near miss last weekend. Looking back now, there were multiple issues that I ignored as I had a job to do. In the end, I made a final mistake that could have ended very badly. Luckily it ended as an annoyance, but it was entirely luck.
Agreed. "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" Where hindsight is useful, is ensuring you don't repeat the same mistake again.

I ignored my gut on a charter boat out in Grand Cayman... seas were much rougher than any of us expected. Put gear on, jumped in, started to get settled and was on the cusp of just getting comfortable - and look at my gauge and it's dead. I actually thought...do I just dive for a bit - then ascend slowly ? And thought what a lousy idea that would be- and listened to my gut instinct after all - and got out of the water. Once I called the diver owner - he understood- and my card never did get charged for it. But lesson learned.

There's an older adage from Bob ( Grateful Diver) and Lynne that I still think is solid advice- I'm trying to remember it verbatim - and I can't but it was something like: " One big failure and you're out. Or three smaller strikes and you're out." If you have three failures of some kind - that individually wouldn't call a dive by themselves- adding up three certainly does by definition.

Example would be: small error- zip seal has a leak - slow- but steady. Thats small strike one. Tank is only halfway filled, small strike two. Forgot your undergarment on a cold water dive - strike three. You're OUT.

You can can call a dive for ANY reason whatsoever and I'll never ever give you grief about it. I've called a few myself. We just bagged it and went for coffee.

My one big failure yesterday. Was doing a solo dive at a site where a friend was teaching a class. He loaned me his scooter so I could see how I liked it.

As soon as I go to descend, the little knob on the end of my wing dump valve string (over left shoulder) came off the string. Couldn’t find the dump string with dry gloves on. I got to the bottom and the scooter wouldn’t start after multiple tries (turns out friend hadn’t connected batteries quite all the way). Tried to dump air with corrugated inflator hose I wear diagonally across my chest (I dive SM). Didn’t really work. So I was done. Sad as it was a gorgeous day with good viz.

The dump string was the one big failure. I was done.

I've been to North Carolina five times, for what was intended to be 10 day trips. On two of the five trips bad weather ''snotty seas'' kept us on shore. On the one trip, we only got out one day.

As divers we live with this. On my North Pacific home, there are more no dive days, than there are dive days, and with summer algae, most BC divers dive elsewhere in the summer.

LOL,

Rose

I've called one dive, and been with my wife when she has called 2.
We were diving the Arabia in Tobermory (110 ish ffw) and right at the mooring block, I managed to turn my head, and pull the reg out of my mouth a bit, getting a lung full of water. After struggling to catch my breath, and dealing with some decent current, I just wasn't feeling it anymore. Thumbed the dive, headed up the line, and did a safety stop. I was fine once I calmed down, but that was a little too deep and cold to be messing about. Total dive time was like 9 mins.

My wife called one of the dives on our night diver course. It was in the lower Niagara River, vis was 3 ft and the river was moving quick. She just wasn't comfortable, so we thumbed the dive, and rescheduled with the instructor for the next week at a different site. No other reason necessary.

Finally, the most understandable case. While on "takeover" weekend in Tobermory, we went with a group of about 80 divers, and took over all the day charter boats. Right before our second dive of the morning (Niagara II) our boat leader was informed via radio that someone on one of the Open water boats had died while diving. She thought she was alright to dive, although upset. All geared up and standing on the platform, she started to cry, and declined the dive. She insisted I dive with a couple other buddies, while she hung on the boat with the captain. and I did...
I was incredibly proud she had the sense to not make the dive while feeling gloomy. She completed both dives that afternoon.

We follow the rule of no repercussions, and no hard feelings... no matter what. works well for us...

It was in 1975, one of the worst dives of my life, and we looked over the water for a good half hour before deciding we could do it. The conditions were marginal for a December shore dive off Rocky Creek State Park in Oregon. The waves were the main problem, and they were coming in at 3-5 feet, which we decided were acceptable once we got out away from the rocks. Well, once we were out, and dived, the waves went from 3-5 feet to 15-20 feet! And, we were underwater. It was like being a flag in a hurricane as we held onto the bottom when a wave went over, first one direction and then the other. We signaled to surface, and called the dive. We started in, and then a big breaker came over us, broke on top of us, and we were underwater for a good 20 seconds. We surfaced together (held by a 1/4 inch buddy line and parachute webbing belt with metal "D" rings). Bruce was without his helmet, I was without my mask but had my helmet on my head (a whitewater rafting helmet with my snorkel attached). We swam back out, and stayed outside the breaker zone. Our girlfriends at the time called the Coast Guard when they could no longer see us, and just at dusk the cutter spotted my helmet, and picked us up. They were elated, as we were their first live pickups in a year or so; we also were elated as we were telling each other stories that if the Russians sent a team of Seals to invade, we'd tell them to go back to their sub.

The photos below show us before being rolled, after, and the waves on the coast later in the day.

Ever since that day, I’ve had my own rule about when to call a dive. If the thought gets into my head that conditions/equipment/or something else says to my brain, “Should I do this dive?” I don’t dive. Once that thought is there, it’s there for a reason. There is something in my subconscious that says, “Hold on, why dive under these circumstances?” In this case, we had that thought in our heads for over 30 minutes before we geared up and entered the water. We were looking for a rationalization as to whether it was safe to dive, and it was not that day.

I have used this rule of mine several times to say “No” to activities. In one instance, my sons were scheduled to go out on a skiing trip with their Boy Scout troop to the Bend, Oregon area from our town in Roseburg, which is on the other side of the mountains. But weather reports said it was blizzard conditions on the passes, and snowing very, very hard in the ski area. I didn’t even think about it, and was sure the event was cancelled. It was not, and the troop went to the ski resort. One of the scouts skied alone, got lost, and skied into a tree well where he crashed head-first, suffocated and died. I didn’t learn that the scout troop had gone there until the news of the fatality hit the news.

So if your have that little nagging feeling about a dive, simple don’t dive.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Rocky Creek With Bruce.jpg
    Rocky Creek With Bruce.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Rocky Creek2.jpg
    Rocky Creek2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Rocky Creek3a.jpg
    Rocky Creek3a.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 47

Back