When mask comes off at 100 ft ......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you check back you'll see that I made an earlier post in this thread which answers your questions. Though why you should assume that I carry a spare mask on every dive isn't clear to me - I didn't say I did. Nor did I say how often that mask has been used, (a) by myself or (b) by others. To answer those last two questions, the answers are (a) never, and (b) two or three times.

What is the relevance of the colour of the skirt of your mask if you're not wearing it?

What is the relevance of the colour of the skirt of your mask if you're not wearing it?

He's saying the black skirt makes it easy to see a lost mask on a light-colored floor.

OK, but a bright colour to the plastic frame (assuming there is one) is even better. And what if the black mask falls on dark vegetation or coral? A customer lost his (bright orange) mask getting off the boat a while back, and I watched it all the way down so I saw where it was on the bottom. I didn't want to leave this particular customer to descend without me, so I guided him to his mask (having first put my spare mask on him). He was very surprised and grateful when he saw the mask at his feet! It had strong prescription lenses and without it I think his diving vacation would have been over.

Getting the masked removed or removing the mask underwater is a basic diving skill that everyone should know how to perform. This should be like second nature.

Exactly. No one should ever issue a certification without first insuring that this question would never occur to the candidate. The OP should complain to his instructor that he didn't get his money's worth.

I have one of those short, elastic, plastic "curly cords" (what phone cords look like) which has clips on both ends. One end can clip to mask strap by snorkel and the other end can be clipped to BC. Does not get in the way and it very easliy stretches to allow for head movement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom