When is the current the calmest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I think we have been to Cozumel every month of the year, and I cannot tell if there is a difference. I'm hoping that people who live there, or dive more often, have a better idea when the currents are the calmest. If it means we have to go in the winter I'll pack more neoprene and go, but I'd really like to go when there's less current. I'm fine WITH current - I know how to manage my dive so I get behind coral heads and ledges. But it would be so nice to find some macro critter and be able to just sit there without finning.

The current won't keep me away. And maybe it's just one of those things that will always be unpredictable. I'm just curious. What are your experiences?

The current is a branch of the North Atlantic Gyre that circles that ocean continuously, so not much variance. There are specific sites that don't get much current.

The current is a branch of the North Atlantic Gyre that circles that ocean continuously, so not much variance. There are specific sites that don't get much current.
Well ... that's not exactly what I wanted to hear ... but it certainly explains why I haven't noticed a difference over the months! Thanks!

Late winter early spring are prone to 'crazy currents' (eddies from the channel current) which can shift rapidly. Not always but enough to keep you on your toes.
I find October and November to, overall, have typically slow and gentle currents and warm water temps. This last week has been excellent.

That may be true of the current out in the channel between Cozumel and the Yucatan, but the underwater topography of the island influences the current close to shore where the dive sites are. Swirls and eddies make the current at many sites highly variable; the speed and direction of the current on those sites can change a lot day to day and even during the course of a dive.

In my anecdotal experience from diving Cozumel every year (except 2020) for many years at about the same time of year (mid April to mid May) the currents on most sites varied from almost nothing to near whiteout conditions from water entrained sand.

I'm no expert on the currents but from my experience I have seen them change from day to day. We have been there early like in April/May and late like in Oct./Nov.

I find October and November to, overall, have typically slow and gentle currents and warm water temps. This last week has been excellent.
Go ahead, rub it in that we weren’t able to make our planned Oct/Nov trip this year. I agree though. It’s my favorite time of the year to go.

See post #5

Late winter early spring are prone to 'crazy currents' (eddies from the channel current) which can shift rapidly. Not always but enough to keep you on your toes.
Been here the last 11 days and current has been pretty non-existent with a couple of very mild exceptions.
Water temp a consistent 83 degrees.

We went over the March break a few years back and wow one day was craaaazy. Then a few days later the current just stopped and viz got real bad.

Back
Top Bottom