The best way to handle/train with currents, Cozumel trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don’t make it too complicated. I dive with an op that is fine with you surfacing on your own dsmb. Know how to use it and stay with your buddy. I really don’t worry too much about the group. Yeah, try to hang with them, but I don’t ever kick into the current to do so. Know the name of your boat and the radio channel it monitors. If you get separated and are on the surface waiting very long, another boat will cozy up, ask, and then call your boat.
If you’re comfy with your skills…mainly staying relatively in trim and controlling your position in the water column, it’s pretty easy diving. It’s drift diving…so fall off the boat, drift, and the boat picks you up (and don’t try to fin all over the place 😊) Enjoy…:clearmask::bounce::bounce::bounce::cool:

Think of it as a conveyor belt, just lay horizontal and enjoy the ride, the boat will pick you all up together wherever you may end up.
Yes, but .... It is important to try to stay together as a group. My first trip to Cozumel I was an inexperienced diver and had no idea what to do in current like that. The group descended, and--I assume--more experienced divers sheltered behind coral where they could, and got as horizontal as they could. I say "I assume" because I found myself being catapulted way out beyond the group and lost sight of them for a nervous few minutes while I struggled against the current until they caught up to me.

Carry a SMB, know the name of your boat and what channel they are on (normally ch 6 in Cozumel). Typically everyone is in the same current. If you get separated relax, your group is typically nearby. If separated stay over or on the inside of the reef, off the wall the current is faster. Enjoy your dive and if necessary surface on your own, there are typically other boats around if your boat isn't and will inquire if you need help. Tell them the name of your boat and provided they are not some fly by night pirate boat they can be called on the radio.

Diving the Spiegel (in current which is nearly always) has little to nothing in common with diving Cozumel. On the Spiegal your boat is tied to a mooring ball and you have to get to the wreck and return. In Cozumel you are on a drift dive, simply ride the current. If you want to stop and look at something, good luck. Just ride the current. if you get away from your DM just have a DSMB and inflate it. The dive ops in Cozumel are excellent at keeping track of their divers and they will not loose you. They will be along shortly to gather you up, smiling and happy as always.

Do not grab the reef to hold on, it damages the reef and is poor sport. If you need to slow down, turn into the current and kick gently while your group catches up. No need to expend any effort. Let the current do the work for you.

I guess doing it all the time makes it simple for us and we forget some have never dove like that.

The Palancars are truely your best begining dives - the formations are close enough to each ther that down in the formations, the current will be mismal - at the end of the dive, you'll go to the shallow side of the reef and you'll experience a bit more current. Most all second dives will expose to the current.

Play around with slowing down, stopping and face different directions - Charlie covered all that. Same level is one key point except on the walls but closeness to reef, wall whatever makes a huge diffeence. Get your buoyancy correct right away and be confident in it - in some areas you will get gradual up and down welling - don't fight it and don't think it's your buoyancy, it's just the natural flow of the water.

Kicking - don't when heading with the current. When you need to slow or stop - position yourself so that your kicks are gradual - if you are kicking rapidly you will burn lots of gas....

You can take the drift diving class here while you are diving if that suits you - it's the best way to take it and get's you one on one with an instructor. Drift diving is an art, even stopping and slowing down are virtually effortless when you get it figured out.....

One tip I have not seen here is to dive with an extra 1-2 lbs. This way if you need to, you can drop air from your BCD and stick in the sand easier or behind a behind a coral head.

Once you get more comfortable in the currents, you can shed it.

As others have mentioned, the most important thing is to carry a DSMB and know how to use it. It's not a big deal to get separated from your DM/group, just shoot the DSMB before your safety stop and usually the boat will be there by the time you are ready to surface. I used to get stressed and burn gas trying to stay with DMs, who sometimes stop quickly to look at something or help another diver. Once you get comfortable that the boat will find you regardless, it's easier to just relax and enjoy your dives.

in some areas you will get gradual up and down welling - don't fight it and don't think it's your buoyancy, it's just the natural flow of the water.
Thanks for the tip as it would have driven me crazy!

Back
Top Bottom