When is a cave a cave?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing i will never forget is how a "Master" scuba diver managed to Jam my Dive Rite Classic Saftey reel, on my Wreck penetration class, it was the worst bird nest i had seen... he asked me how i prevent that and i told him Pratice Pratice Pratice, and that at least twice a week i pratice in my pool...

Lol its a Dive Rite reel no suprise there. :)

Yeah, the way to prevent jamming (or more realistically, breaking) a dive rite reel is to sell it for a Halcyon or Salvo :)

yea, but i also have salvo, and a DR Sidewinder Explorer 900' line # 24, and i love it...

Depends on who you ask !!!

In PADI, a cavern dive is defined as such in the Specialty Manual

"Cavern diving is defined as any dive conducted within the light zone
of a cave. Cave diving is any dive conducted beyond the light zone
of a cave. The light zone of a cave is defined as that part of the cave
from which natural light illuminating the entrance is visible at all
times."

Like yourself a lot of people want to experience a cavern dive but not go for a full cert in it. Since there is no official PADI Experience a cavern dive program there are no specifics covering this sort of activity.

But here in Mexico where we take hundreds of tourists into the centoes the two sets of rules we have to follow are

For divers
Be at least Open Water certified

For Instructors
Be at least full cave divers, dive with twin sets, follow preset routes which are laid out no more than 70 feet from any entrance

If your instructor is experienced then it is as safe as any other dive, the only extra complication you have is you will be in an overhead environment and you need to remember that if you get into any trouble. Instead of swimming up, you swim to the light in an absolute emergency.

After all how are people going to know if they like cave diving without trying it first, you can expect people to do a course and then do the first dive and find they dont like it!

Depends on who you ask !!!

In PADI, a cavern dive is defined as such in the Specialty Manual

"Cavern diving is defined as any dive conducted within the light zone
of a cave. Cave diving is any dive conducted beyond the light zone
of a cave. The light zone of a cave is defined as that part of the cave
from which natural light illuminating the entrance is visible at all
times."

I believe that PADI instructs their instructors to use existing cavern manuals such as NSS-CDS and NACD's manuals to teach the subject, unless it has changed recently. NACD's stance is no more than 200 ft penetration, no more than 100 ft depth, and within the light zone also I think to start the dive you must have a minimum of 40 ft of visibility.

For teaching the cavern specialty yes, but for a single dive which does not lead to a certification there is no clear cut rules. There isnt even an adventure in diving for caverns. I know here in Mexico the limits are imposed by the local tourism board in association with the cenote owners.

For teaching the cavern specialty yes, but for a single dive which does not lead to a certification there is no clear cut rules. There isnt even an adventure in diving for caverns. I know here in Mexico the limits are imposed by the local tourism board in association with the cenote owners.

Actually the NACD or NSS-CDS limits rox@ufc11 stated are the rules. That is pretty clear cut. That is the limits to which you are trained.

Im confused,

I agree that when teaching a cavern course (the only such course is the Cavern Specialty) under PADI you follow the NACD NSSSSS or such rules.

However there is nothing about a PADI instructor taking a certified diver on a single exploration dive into a cavern environment. For example here in Mexico we take tourists into the cenotes, the cavern/cave systems. The rules here are made by the local government in association with cave agencies and cenote owners.

If there has been a special communication to PADI members about taking divers on a PADI certified program into a cavern then could you please point me in that direction?

Dont be confused.. The question you answered was about when a cave is a cave. You went on and said there is no clear rules. Well there is but I understand what you wre saying now. It looks like you guys keep it pretty conservative still. No more than 70ft from the entrance. And that with a certified cave or cavern instructor?

Ah ok we were getting crossed over who was talking about what!!

But yes very conservative when the min is only open water and we get a lot of people with little experience or long gaps between diving.

Guide has to be a fully certified cave diver through a proper cave agency, though most are cave instructors as well. Must dive with twin sets even though customers are only on 1 12l tank etc

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom