When is a cave a cave?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to point out that at Vortex theres a Gate similar to that of Ginnie Springs cavern, but Cave divers can get a key to go through, and this is what vortex website says:

For the certifed cave divers, the natural cavern is the real deal. It is 58+ feet deep and continues through a garage-sized tunnel into cave diving. The cave meanders gracefully another hundred yards or so to a depth of 115 feet, with a penetration depth of 310 feet. The tunnel is blocked by a steel grate at this point. The white sand bottom is gently rippled by the outflow from the underground spring. Pockets of air randomly collect at the ceiling, creating a sound like gentle piano tones. Guided by a permanent safety hand rail, certifed cave divers may explore at their leisure along the beautiful limestone confines of this wonder of nature, confident of their way back to the surface. Penetration into any confined overhead areas is only for divers with the proper training!

Also from their website:

Many amenities make training at Vortex an instructor's dream. Student training platforms are provided for instruction at the 20-foot level along with a "talk box," (a large inverted container anchored to a concrete base providing air space for conversation). The spring basin is 50 feet deep at the mouth of the beautiful, ledge-like cavern. There are two artificial caves that are open at both ends, providing training and fun for divers who are not yet cavern/cave certified. River catfish, harmless American Freshwater Eels, Redhorse Suckers, and a school of very rare, exotic "Shadow Bass" will be your constant companions. There is no thermocline because water flows directly from the aquifer.

And heres a MAP of the cave system:

http://www.tampadiving.com/sections/diving/cave_systems/media/vortex/vortex_map.jpg

how many dives do you have?..... you should wait a while before jumping into Technical Diving, there has been Numerous cases of divers who went "to far to soon" and have paid one pretty penny for the out come, Cave diving is My favorite sport, and is my passion, and i would hate to hear of another inccident where a diver with too much bravado, "big boy" syndrome, or macho/ it won't happen to me attitude, gets killed by their ego driven mind. Cave(rn) diving should be done for the purposes of Beauty, Exploration of the unknown, adventure, time in a peaceful enviroment, and not for just because its challageing and you want to push to the extremes, thoes attitudes are what get divers killed... cave(rn) diving is a lot more dangerous than O/W in more ways than one ways, even fully trained Divers still die every year from Diving in overhead enviroments, just less than 2 weeks ago a Full Cave diver died diving in a Cave (and he was only 500'-700' from the entrance of the cave), and was in what is now considered one of the safest places to cave dive, my advise to you would be, if you want to explore a cavern, no matter where you are you should get a Full cave diving instructor as a guide, to be there incase of an emergancy....

dive safe, dive educated,

Atomic_Diver

I've been to the gate at Vortex numerous times. If memory serves me right it is a few hundred foot swim and is lighted the whole way. I think the depth is around 90ft there. There is a gate that is locked and you have to be a cave diver and get it from the dive shop to go any further. There is a sign a few yards into the passage that does warn divers of the risks involved. I'm not saying you should go or shouldn't go I am just giving you some info. Good diving and be safe.

The cavern has been enlarged and is pretty much where you can mostly stay where light hits you and you can safely look around. The CAVE starts past the sign by the duck under after the big rock. It is CAVE from there to the grate and beyond. Beyond the sign you should stay out of unless trained as it is indeed a cave, and not a cavern. There have been several recoveries of dead divers in the cave. But, the cavern is pretty docile unless you have gas management issues or wander in the dark areas. My cavern (safety) opinion is not based on training, just the reality of the place. It is pretty to look at and even though you can get in trouble, you probably won't.

I would like to say as the manager of the spring you are going to visit, do not take the chance. There is enough to see without going into an overhead environment. Drop down to the bottom of the cavern rope, but DO NOT let go. You can see what it looks like and still be in open water. I have had to fly too many people out of here for the same thing you are planning.
It is my experience that once you go in, you will keep saying to yourself, I will just go to the corner and turn around. Then you get to the corner and say I will just go a little further. Before you know it, you are at the grate looking at a stop sign with 250psi and realize you just killed yourself. Please get proper training!

Shane Schiller
GM Vortex Spring

Those 'OW safe' caverns are just fine...until they aren't and someone gets hurt.

For those of you with selective memories, a few years back a woman lost her weights at the Ginnie Ballroom, got pinned to the ceiling and almost bit it.

Crystal clear water and shallow depths create a breeding ground for complacency. They are nothing to wag a finger at. I had 2 friends nearly die at Paradise spring (one of those OW safe places).

Discretion is the better part of valor.

George says:....... get certified first........lol

Theres an Obvious reason why they don't want divers diving without proper training.....

Attachments

• dangerous cave.JPG
    dangerous cave.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 61
Two questions come to mind........
Will you be at Fall MegaDive?
And, when will we hear the rest of the story about
what prompted the burning leaves/car story????

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom