When/How to Tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris z

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
First I apologize if this has been addressed else where. I searched and found plenty of threads on how much to tip, but nothing on when or how give the tip on a liveaboard.

What is the general/expected practice for giving out the tip on a liveaboard? Give it to the Captain at the end of the trip to distribute amoung the crew? Give it to each crew member personally? Leave it in the cabin in an envelope with "For Crew" on it?

A little background, its just the husband and I (we not travelling with a dive group or anything).

I probably just need to call the company and ask, but I figured I'd go to the FOAK first.

Thanks in advance for your help.
-Chris

chris z:
First I apologize if this has been addressed else where. I searched and found plenty of threads on how much to tip, but nothing on when or how give the tip on a liveaboard.

What is the general/expected practice for giving out the tip on a liveaboard? Give it to the Captain at the end of the trip to distribute amoung the crew? Give it to each crew member personally? Leave it in the cabin in an envelope with "For Crew" on it?

A little background, its just the husband and I (we not travelling with a dive group or anything).

I probably just need to call the company and ask, but I figured I'd go to the FOAK first.

Thanks in advance for your help.
-Chris
which liveaboard? The ones I've been on (PH & Aggressor) there's usually a tab to settle at the end of the week for anything not included (the inevitable t-shirts, Nitrox, whatever) and I've always added it to that, as it seems everyone else did.

That's what I do too. I have been on liveaboards where they asked (though certainly not demanded) for tips in cash or in local currency. Ask the company before you go.

Somewhat on-topic but I'll post here since it's an active thread. Is tipping appropriate if the DM/Guide is also the buisness owner? Usually the rule is no at restaraunts, but I realize diving is somewhat different. Unless of course the DM/Op is secretly working for the local shark population and you are the entree.

Every one I've been on, they mention tipping the 2nd to last night. They usually state that tips average 5-10% of the charter price. They also leave an evelope on your bed the morning before you settle the tab. You can either leave the tip in cash or usually charge it. My guess is that they much prefer cash. Also, they distribute the tips equally between all the crew.

BigTuna:
Foak?
:06:

"Fountain Of All Knowledge":wink:

Thanks to everyone one who has replied.

We are going with Nekton; I will double check with the company when we get closer, just to be sure. I'm sure they prefer cash, but I know my husband would prefer to put it on our charge card if we can.

Thanks Again!
-Chris

I have been on Nekton, you can put the tip on your card when you settle your tab at the end of your cruise. With so many crew members helping it is not a bad way to go. I chose to do that and then to give the crew members that I thought went out of there way something extra in cash, seemed to be fair. You will have a great time as Nekton is a great operation. I will be going with them again to the Caymens later this year.

We always leave tip when settling tab,usualy put on card for convienence. However 5-10% seems a bit low, considering most restaurant servers expect 15-18% these days. And the liveaboard crews serve food, cook food, do domestic duties, address any problems with equipment etc., guide, and all the while oversee guests safety and enjoyment. However, I'm sure whatever is left is greatly appreciated.

scubabear:
We always leave tip when settling tab,usualy put on card for convienence. However 5-10% seems a bit low, considering most restaurant servers expect 15-18% these days. And the liveaboard crews serve food, cook food, do domestic duties, address any problems with equipment etc., guide, and all the while oversee guests safety and enjoyment. However, I'm sure whatever is left is greatly appreciated.

I just got off a live-aboard and paid $3,000 x 2 for the week. If I was to tip 18% that would be $1,100! According to their web site 10% is recommended, 5% is the average.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom