When/How to Tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Cathrine It's a "TIP" something you give because you want to. If they have some policy or mandatory way to tip then it's a surcharge.
Surcharges should be up front and save everyone the speech about the chef and your mother who washes the boat when they return.
I must say if you try to tell me when or how much to tip it will effect your "TIP".

catherine96821:
I don't think it is fair at all. you know, nothing would put me off worse than an operator or company telling me how to tip. If they want to tip, they can fork up better salaries. If I am tipping, I will do it the way I see fit. otherwise it is just a surcharge.

Quite a lot of divers from other countries don't tip at all. No one demands you tip, do they?

hey, I LIKE to tip. and I like to feel like it is effective. I already said I feel slightly guilty but I believe in the incentive of a free market and the capitalist system, so it is in keeping with my core beliefs. And I believe in the freedom of no tip, tip at the end on your bill, or tip along the way, if that is what blows up your skirt. Somewhere between no tip and tipping per a rigid protocol, surely there is room for some free expression?

catherine96821:
Nope. you can't. you have to live dangerously, Howard. Thats part of the fun.

Jcsgt, try it! we started taking the captain or the divemaster breakfast from where we we ate in the morning...and oh my gosh, they were so appreciative.
For the record... I usually tip at the end of the trip. Most DM's are nice to us, I think it's because I have Michelle as my buddy, or because they've heard or our shop, and want discounts? Or, because we're happy people who don't complain about much, and have fun as much as possible. Either way... Tipping is good, and most DM's don't make as much as they should.

A lot of boats that I've been on have signs posted that the crew works for tips, etc.

While I've never done a liveaboard, I would imagine that it's similar to a cruise, where they give you envelopes to tip the major players. (chambermaid, head waiter, etc - ON A CRUISE) - At CoCo View in Roatan, they also told everyone to TIP.

But doesn't telling people to TIP change the meaning of TIP at all?

I originally went to college for HRTA (Hotel, Restaurant, and Travel Administration) - there they were telling us that TIPS were acronyms for "To Insure Proper Service" - most people TIP differently, based on the quality of the service. I know I do. If a wait-tron at a restaurant is barely present, doesn't come back to my table 2-5 minutes after the food is delivered to "see if everything is ok" - I usually weigh this into the tip, and lean more towards 15%. If it's exemplary service... I may TIP a wait-tron as much as 25%

On a dive boat... I do evaluate the performance of the crew.

Do they help me into and out of the water? Do they grab my camera? Fins? Do they give me a little lift as I climb the ladder, and help me back to my seat?

I think people who work for tips have to EARN them. :wink:

And if your theory is correct you would get no service at all if you didn't tip.

I have experienced this at a resort in Cuba. Unless you were waiving a fiver around you were ignored.

I usually tip between 10-15%. If you have to tip every person for every service this can get a little out of hand pretty quick.

Say the minimum tip is $5. And you meet 7 people that are part of the dive operation each day. If you tip them each once a day by the end of a weeks diving you have spent $245.00 on tips alone.

And that’s best case. If you and a few others posting to this thread are on the same boat.....wow what have you started now. You get picked up first because you tipped a $20 and me next for a $10....and so on.

You theory is absolutely correct. You are a true capitalist, and my hat goes off to you.

BTW That will be five bucks please. :wink:

hey...I said it is tacky and not to be flamboyant about it! But I do like to be the last pick-up in the morning and ..it doesn't really matter to anyone else if they haven't even had it occur to them. I mean somebody on the loop has to be last. We are not starting anything, because no one knows we are doing it. Ya'll should be thanking this old chick for tipping you off to the tricks. (kidding)
Sometimes, you do not even know what great thing you are going to get. We tipped the hotel "driver" who did our transfer from Koror to the hotel. No one else did, I noticed. But me, I am already thinking, "this guy is going to be carting us around again." So JB gives him a five. Now, he goes in and mumbles to his friend at the front desk to put us in the ground deluxe floor room. Would he if the hotel was full?..probably not. But turns out, he is not just the driver, but the manager...and it cost him nothing to upgrade us. Like I said, I am just sharing my little strategies. I do travel a bit, and if someone thinks it is distasteful, then I understand. We are usually treated so well, I am always feeling sheepish. It is really just "enlightened self-interest" but then again, I genuinely usually like the drivers, the dive guides, the maids and maybe they pick up on that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom