When does "Gas Management" get taught?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I got certified last summer (PADI OW, AOW and we have completed the requirements for a "Master Scuba" card). She took a "gas management" class last fall before taking Fundies. As she put it this morning, I've absorbed a fair amount of her training by osmosis (or more honestly, force feeding) and I'm looking forward to my "Essentials" class next month in part for the information about gas management and deco theory. OK.

This led me to questions regarding "gas management" and when do the various agencies teach it -- assuming they do? In our "deep" specialty, WE brought up the gas management issue during our dive brief and it was discussed, but it wasn't a subject until we brought it up.

I took a look through the PADI "Encyclopedia" and couldn't find a word about it. I don't recall any information from either the OW or AOW books about the subject. Do any of the other OW/AOW agencies have this topic as a standard part of their curriculum?

OR, to ask the question another way, WHEN should "gas management" be taught to new divers? At what point should a diver be expected to know about "rock bottom time", "turn pressure", and the various other ideas that make up the notion of "gas management" (note, I'm quite content to say I don't know much about this so if what I'm writing isn't quite right, chalk it up to my ignorance which is an example of my point). And if a new diver wanted to learn about this, where does she turn to get the information or even to find out she doesn't know enough to ask the questions of her instructor on how to "create the plan and dive the plan."

This is NOT a PADI, or any other agency, bash. I like the idea that PADI and the others have opened the seas to the masses. Yes this can be a dangerous sport, but, to be honest, it isn't very dangerous in most recreational situations. And, at least as far as I can tell, the vast majority of people can dive safely without knowing anything about planning how much gas they need to make their dive (if only because the equipment is so safe) so maybe it isn't really much of an issue for the typical recreational diver.

I took up to AOW (Night, Deep, Wreck, Recovery) and Nitrox through SSI, plus an additional navigation course through PADI.

Gas management was literally never mentioned (beyond "surface with 500 psi" and "on deep dives a redundant air supply is a good idea") before I took DIR-F.

The first time I was taught it was Advanced Nitrox. Never even heard the term SAC rate in any recreational course (OW thru Rescue) that I have done.

On my CMAS course gas consumption calculations were taught right at the beginning, at 1 star level (= OW).
Turn pressure strategies, thirds etc were taught.
What wasn't mentioned was the "rock-bottom" concept to get 2 divers to the surface safely on what was left in either cylinder.
However once I heard the concept mentioned, the calculations were easy with what we were taught.

I wasn't taught gas management until TDI cavern. Prior to that it was "come up before you run out of air". Pretty easy in an OW/no-deco environment, 700 psi is usually enough to get you up with a safety stop from shallower depths, 1000 psi from deeper depths. I've never heard of anyone doing thirds on OW/no-deco dives.

Peter Guy:
My wife and I got certified last summer (PADI OW, AOW and we have completed the requirements for a "Master Scuba" card). She took a "gas management" class last fall before taking Fundies. As she put it this morning, I've absorbed a fair amount of her training by osmosis (or more honestly, force feeding) and I'm looking forward to my "Essentials" class next month in part for the information about gas management and deco theory. OK.

This led me to questions regarding "gas management" and when do the various agencies teach it -- assuming they do? In our "deep" specialty, WE brought up the gas management issue during our dive brief and it was discussed, but it wasn't a subject until we brought it up.

I took a look through the PADI "Encyclopedia" and couldn't find a word about it. I don't recall any information from either the OW or AOW books about the subject. Do any of the other OW/AOW agencies have this topic as a standard part of their curriculum?

OR, to ask the question another way, WHEN should "gas management" be taught to new divers? At what point should a diver be expected to know about "rock bottom time", "turn pressure", and the various other ideas that make up the notion of "gas management" (note, I'm quite content to say I don't know much about this so if what I'm writing isn't quite right, chalk it up to my ignorance which is an example of my point). And if a new diver wanted to learn about this, where does she turn to get the information or even to find out she doesn't know enough to ask the questions of her instructor on how to "create the plan and dive the plan."

This is NOT a PADI, or any other agency, bash. I like the idea that PADI and the others have opened the seas to the masses. Yes this can be a dangerous sport, but, to be honest, it isn't very dangerous in most recreational situations. And, at least as far as I can tell, the vast majority of people can dive safely without knowing anything about planning how much gas they need to make their dive (if only because the equipment is so safe) so maybe it isn't really much of an issue for the typical recreational diver.
You know my answer ... :wink:

It's part of my NAUI AOW class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If I remember correctly, I first was introduced to "rule of thirds" in PADI wreck diving. At that point I had AOW, Rescue, Nitrox and would say any concrete princples had not been introduced. Some of the math had included sac rates but not beyond having a problem or two.

It should have started in class one of the basic OW class and be an ongoing process.

Gary D.

I was taught either in my OW or AOW class (they both kinda blend in for me now) through NAUI. Like rescues, I think it's an important skill should be taught as early as possible.

A

Gary D.:
It should have started in class one of the basic OW class and be an ongoing process.

Gary D.
I don't see it in my SSI OW book, nor do I see it in my friend's PADI OW book....

So, I guess it "should" be taught in OW courses, but so should many other things that agencies apparently don't feel are important..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom