When did you go DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vayu:
Whats wrong with working on trim and back kicks with less than 100 dives? I'm a diver that just wants to have fun and doing it without silting up the local springs and while moving backwards is just alot of fun.
Because some people get so obsessed with technique they forgot the reason they why they started to dive in the first place. To have fun.

The world doesn't end if your trim is off and you can't backkick.

RikRaeder:
"Drank the Kool aid?!!" :icon28: "A bit too free minded??!!!"
Hmmm. Sounds great. Almost like a cult of mind-controlled zombies of the deep! Really, I know that a lot of their protocols are quite logical and all, but telling Catherine can't play because you don't like the questions she asks is a bit harsh.

Rikaeder: Catherine, seems to me, will fit in well with any group.

JeffG:
The world doesn't end if your trim is off and you can't backkick.
No, but the dive might for the people behind you - at least in our silty waters (Not you, Jeff. I mean the universal "you"). Not much fun for the people eating your silt.

Rick Inman:
No, but the dive might for the people behind you - at least in our silty waters (Not you, Jeff. I mean the universal "you"). Not much fun for the people eating your silt.
Being off trim doesn't mean you will raise a slit storm. It might raise the likely hood, but its not a guarantee. The point is...is to not lose sight of why people started in the first place.

(Rick...I would bet you almost anything that our local lakes are easier to silt out than the ocean :wink: The bottom is like gravy.)

catherine96821:
Has there ever been anyone "kicked out" and for what? Would some DIR "god" call you if you were violating DIR philosophy? Is there "enforcement" is what I am asking.... or someone in charge trying to protect the brand reputation?
for the first answer, search on 'georgitsis'.

for the second & third, unofficially, yes, sort of like gossip. a friend of mine tells about being around some folks who were smoking, and getting a call from his fundies instructor who had heard *he* was smoking.

disclaimer - not in any way affiliated. not ruling it out, just haven't done it yet.

BabyDuck:
for the first answer, search on 'georgitsis'.

for the second & third, unofficially, yes, sort of like gossip. a friend of mine tells about being around some folks who were smoking, and getting a call from his fundies instructor who had heard *he* was smoking.

disclaimer - not in any way affiliated. not ruling it out, just haven't done it yet.
AG got kicked out of GUE not DIR.

DIR is not a thing, so you can't get "kicked out". You either Do it or Don't do it.

The only people you really need to answer to is yourself and your team.

I went DIR January 2001. I already had several thousand dives by that time. My buddies and I were the second guinea pig class of what later became the DIRf class. My primary buddy and I did Tech 1 a year later.

It profoundly changed the way I dive.

I would say the sooner the better. You are in California so you have several choices as to which group you get your DIR training from.

BabyDuck:

Is it wrong for his Fundamentals instructor to care about the health of one of his students?

Because I felt strongly enough in the GUE mindset and decided to take Fundamentals, I quit smoking a little over a year ago. I had been a pack-a-day (sometimes more) smoker for the better part of 15 years.

So yes, if my instructor heard that I'd been smoking, I'd expect a phone call. I don't just consider him an instructor, I consider him a friend. And a friend would step in and say something if they knew something was going on.

Besides, this thread wants to know when people went GUE, and smoking isn't GUE:

1.6 General Prerequisites for All GUE Courses

4. Must be a nonsmoker.

Derek S:
Besides, this thread wants to know when people went GUE, and smoking isn't GUE:
Its titled "When did you go DIR"

I took my DIR-F class in October 2005. Great class, quite worthwhile. In San Diego with Marc Hall.

There is little to gain by delaying the class, the sooner the better. I wish I'd done it sooner.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom