When did you go DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm planning on moving to a DIR type config with my first major gear purchase coming up very, very soon. I'm not going 100% DIR yet. Can't afford it. The main "violation" for me is I can't see myself purchasing a cannister light. Sure, I will eventually and certainly before DIR-F and any tech courses. However, I still have alot of experience to get under my belt, and I think a set of 3 UK lights will do me fine for now. Also, I can't afford a dry suit yet, so a 7mm will have to do for now.

For the main setup (BP/W, hose lengths, SPG only on hose, etc.) however, I'm planning on going DIR even before I've logged 10 dives. I figure that if I'm convinced of the wisdom of most of the DIR configuration/practices, why start out with a purely rec config and change later? I hate spending money twice.

Divin'Hoosier:
I thought you had to have 100 beyond OW to do Fundies? Is that a new prereq?

It depends on who you talk to. If you ask Bob Sherwood, he would tell you to take fundies as soon as possible. This way, you learn the "right" way from the very beginning and will have less bad habits that need to be corrected. If your objective is to pass fundies, you will almost certainly have to take it twice. The first time to get introduced to the concepts, the next to show whatever level of proficiency the instructor will want to see to give you a passing grade.

If you ask the folks at 5thd-x, I think they will tell you to have around 50 dives under your belt (minimum) before you take fundies. However, they offer a non-GUE class that introduces you to DIR concepts. If you go this route and take essentials right away and do fundies after 50 or so dives, presumably you have a reasonable chance of passing.

Sorry for the hijack.

Jorbar1551:
I guess the question should have been: How much experience have you had, before you started going DIR/Tech?

In the book, it says that "a significant number of individuals who are successful in technical diver training are dive masters, instructors, or individuals with comparable leadership-level training."

I only have 50+ dives, so i have nowhere near the experience i want, but I'm getting there. I need to take the rescue class, and get more experience in the water before I start taking intro to tech courses. I just wanted to know when people started their transformation from strictly recreational environments, to more challenging environments like deeper dives and overhead environments.

DIR doesn't nessessarily mean that you are doing technical diving. A person doing the normal drift dives off the reefs of cozumel can DIR and not have anything to do with technical diving. It's a set of procedures, gear configuration, and an attitude to not do it at all if you can't do it the right way. It's a way to dive safely, have fun, and it's a style of diving that will grow with you. You don't have to go tech. to be DIR, but if you decide that you want to then the jump isn't so drastic.

Divin'Hoosier:
I thought you had to have 100 beyond OW to do Fundies? Is that a new prereq?

http://www.gue.com/Training/Recreational/index.html

Prerequisites

1. Must meet GUE General Course Prerequisites as outlined in Section 1.6
2. Must be a minimum of 16 years of age
3. Must be a certified open water diver from a recognized training agency
4. Must be able to swim a distance of at least 50 feet/15 meters on a breath hold
5. Must be able to swim at least 300 yards/275 meters in less than 14 minutes without stopping. This test should be conducted in a swimsuit and, where necessary, appropriate thermal protection.

1.6 General Prerequisites for All GUE Courses

The following are prerequisites for all GUE Courses (any additional and/or course specific course prerequisite, as well as any deviations from the following, will be listed under the appropriate section of the specific course):

1. Must submit a completed registration form, medical history, and liability release to GUE Headquarters.

2. Must be physically and mentally fit.

3. Must hold DAN Master level insurance or equivalent.

4. Must be a nonsmoker.

5. Must obtain a physician's prior written authorization for the use of prescription drugs, except for birth control, or for a prior medical condition that may pose a risk while diving. A partial list of such conditions may be found on GUE's medical history form; if a student answers in the affirmative to any of these, they must obtain a physician's approval to dive and disclose this to their GUE instructor before the onset of training. Physician approval for a specific condition is valid for one year from the date it is given assuming there are no further changes to the student's medical conditions.

6. Must be CPR/First Aid trained (except for DIR Fundamentals).

FLYPIG.GIF

I don't see DIR in my immediate future

catherine96821:
yea, I need you to define the criteria please. Is it being "dirfed" ? haha I just learned that term. I am still in purgatory. I want to know is DIR:

A Mindset?

A Gear Config?

A Pass on the entry-level course?

A Desire and a Provisional?

Its probably just doing everything which is necessary to pull off difficult dives with safety and repeatability. Team diving, gear config, mindset, health and fitness, SOPs, training, etc all serve the purpose of doing dives safely and repeatably. And it also has the byproduct of making all diving fun and easy. No worrying about where your buddy is, no worrying about equipment failures you can't handle, benefits of streamlined equipment and profile, less stirred up silt, probably better SAC rates, passive signalling, etc, all benefit the recreational diver as well...

DIR/GUE/WKPP is, of course, just one system for doing dives safely and repeatably, but most of the superficial details in equipment and DIRF skills are going to be common ground for just about any good tech or cave class...

Diving without the team, contraindicated? Has there ever been anyone "kicked out" and for what? I understand the other stuff I think, still trying to get a grip on this grey area....or is it just a..GREY area? I can accept that BTW, I just want to know.

As an example, I am a PADI DM and I got a call from a course director telling me not to get towed to a site through some small surf on a jet ski, he thought it was not safe and could reflect poorly. Would some DIR "god" call you if you were violating DIR philosophy? Is there "enforcement" is what I am asking.... or someone in charge trying to protect the brand reputation? I know DIR is a philosophy not an agency but would a DIR -compliant agency pay you a little call if you were non-compliant?

catherine96821:
Diving without the team, contraindicated? Has there ever been anyone "kicked out" and for what? I understand the other stuff I think, still trying to get a grip on this grey area....or is it just a..GREY area? I can accept that BTW, I just want to know.

As an example, I am a PADI DM and I got a call from a course director telling me not to get towed to a site through some small surf on a jet ski, he thought it was not safe and could reflect poorly. Would some DIR "god" call you if you were violating DIR philosophy? Is there "enforcement" is what I am asking.... or someone in charge trying to protect the brand reputation? I know DIR is a philosophy not an agency but would a DIR -compliant agency pay you a little call if you were non-compliant?

Catherine: I do not think you will make it as a DIR diver. Your doing it my way streak seems at odds with the folks who drank the Kool aid at less than 100 dives and took "fundies" and are now busy working on "trim" and back kicks etc. You seem a bit more free minded.

After getting back into diving and making about 50 dives, I was fortunate enough to dive with NWGratefulDiver & Uncle Pug. Through their example and this board, I had a major wake-up call about my diving skills. But it wasn't until almost three years and several hundred dives later that I was able to take the class - long enough to form all kinds of bad habits I'm still trying to break.

mdb:
Catherine: I do not think you will make it as a DIR diver. Your doing it my way streak seems at odds with the folks who drank the Kool aid at less than 100 dives and took "fundies" and are now busy working on "trim" and back kicks etc. You seem a bit more free minded.

"Drank the Kool aid?!!" :icon28: "A bit too free minded??!!!"
Hmmm. Sounds great. Almost like a cult of mind-controlled zombies of the deep! Really, I know that a lot of their protocols are quite logical and all, but telling Catherine can't play because you don't like the questions she asks is a bit harsh.

Whats wrong with working on trim and back kicks with less than 100 dives? I'm a diver that just wants to have fun and doing it without silting up the local springs and while moving backwards is just alot of fun.

Maybe to you it is fun to make references to mass murder on a public forum, but that cult-mindset that people keep throwing out really is not what it is all about.

In regards to the thread: I changed my equipment over at dive 12 and i'm in the process of seeking the training to make myself a better diver. Whether I am DIR or not is just a side effect of embracing a system that enables me to have more fun. I think people take this stuff way too seriously and should focus more on diving. Anyone can do it and my guess is that mostly everyone will get something from this sort of training.

-V

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom