What's your PO2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So - You trained early in diving to a PPO2 of 2.0, know you aren't as susceptible to OxTox as some, and due to your personal history, find the risk of DCS greater than the risk of OxTox . . . did I get that right?

Yes. Now, if you were my student, we would train at 1.4/1.2. While we were diving together, we might plan a dive for 1.6/1.4, after you were certified. If conditions dictated (we already had mix in our cylinders, the wreck had settled, we needed to recover the anchor that was hung in the wreck), we MIGHT plan a dive for 1.6/2.0 as long as we BOTH felt comfy, we understood the need to make the dive, and we understood the risks. If you had never been to that high PO2, we wouldn't do it on a dive where we had a mission to accomplish, because, even though we both know our limitations, when you have a mission, it tends to cloud your judgment to other things going on around you (perception narrowing) and you might not notice the effects the high PO2 was having on your body. If you felt the least bit uncomfortable making such a dive with me, we would re-mix our gas to the place where you felt comfortable. After all, there is NOTHING in the ocean worth dying for, including your buddy. Adding a bit of helium to any mix lowers your PO2. It's not that big a deal. I don't usually find that high pO2 is a trimix issue in any case, it's usually a deep air/nitrox issue.

OBTW, the tech diving rules on the Spree for all divers including crew are max PO2 of 1.6, and a deep air limit of 150 feet.

That frickin' penguin is quite distracting, I'll have you know. Not that I want it to go away. IJS

There are a lot of people who tweak deco schedules based on how they feel during or after a dive. It's a matter of listening to your body and you're the person who knows it best.

You know, Ive met people that say that about drunk driving too. I guess we should be OK with people that feel fine to drive no matter what, huh?

Point for me is this: People can say whatever they want. Maybe they are more or less susceptible to ox tox (there is personal variation for sure), but every time you risk the need for a rescue response you put OTHERS at risk. The issue with too limited a view is that you only see the one person as at risk, when that really isnt the case. The industry has defined 1.6 as the acceptable risk level, and beyond that you are being stupid. Not that you ARE stupid, just that you are making a stupid decision. Maybe if there were no gases available to prevent it, it would be a different issue, BUT THERE ARE. So, my point, is why would you bother risking a ppO2 of 2.0 when you dont have to.

OF course, if you wear a full-facemask things are a bit different, but no one here seems to have justified their ppO2 based on that...so I will assume that it isnt being used.

So, my point, is why would you bother risking a ppO2 of 2.0 when you dont have to.
Did you bother to read his post? Or my response for that matter? Or are you just too caught up in one or two lines to see the bigger picture?

Yes I read it, and you didn't answer my question sufficiently. Perhaps you should try re-reading your post; You didn't address any reason why you would go beyond a generally acceptable safety limit--how you feel generally means squat as a reason. Do you often disregard what is considered safe based on how you feel?

BTW, my comment quoted you, but it wasn't necessarily directed at you. It was more a general rhetorical question.

If you read my post you'll note that I don't agree with his choice of PO2's - as in I wouldn't personally dive those limits. However he's demonstrated a known susceptibility to DCS and a tolerance to oxtox. Given his circumstances, his choice is right for him. I respect his right to make that choice knowing that he likely has more training and experience than you and I combined.

I also emphasized listening to what your body is telling you. Many people can feel the symptoms of subclinical DCS by the way the feel during and after a dive. There are divers that tweak their schedules in the water based on how they feel to either get out faster, or hang longer.

There are also indicators to high O2 exposure prior to convulsing. That is the result that happens when you ignore the other signs. Have you experienced any of these effects for yourself? Some of us have and we speak from experience, not just something we read in a book.

I'm not advocating widespread use of high PO2's. I'm advocating that responsible divers making informed decisions have the right to do so if they choose. They know the risks, they understand them and they accept them. Perhaps you missed this part of my post as well?

Now if you were inexperienced or untrained, that might be a different story...

Point for me is this: People can say whatever they want. Maybe they are more or less susceptible to ox tox (there is personal variation for sure), but every time you risk the need for a rescue response you put OTHERS at risk. The issue with too limited a view is that you only see the one person as at risk, when that really isnt the case. The industry has defined 1.6 as the acceptable risk level, and beyond that you are being stupid. Not that you ARE stupid, just that you are making a stupid decision. Maybe if there were no gases available to prevent it, it would be a different issue, BUT THERE ARE. So, my point, is why would you bother risking a ppO2 of 2.0 when you dont have to.

Which brings up a whole new issue, but is related. I learned to dive when PO2's were acceptable at 2.0. Trimix was something Billy Deans was teaching down in Key West, but divers were successfully diving the Doria and other wrecks on air. My friend Ian was diving a AP rebreather on Trimix before TDI was even a dream of Bret Gillam's. Nitrox was the evil gas that PADI said they'd never endorse, and DEMA followed suit.

Now, you tell me that 1.6 is an "Industry Standard" because someone published it in a book somewhere, my friend Ian had to get a certification card to do something he's been doing since before there were certification cards for it, and I'm making a stupid decision because I'm following the standards of the time I was trained. PADI issues C-Cards to divers diving voodoo gas without requiring them to make a dive using the gas.

I'm all for learning from mistakes. One of the problems with the industry is that folks make up "industry standards" with no basis for them. We've determined in this thread that some divers are more susceptible to ox-tox than others, some can tox at PO2's of 1.2 or less, and that some of us aren't as prone to suffering from ill effects of O2 than others. What are these industry standards supposed to do? Keep us safe? DIVING ISN'T SAFE, AND ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU IT IS IS BLOWING SMOKE UP YOUR ASS. Diving is a sport that carries some risk. It is up to each of us to define what level of risk we are willing to accept to accomplish our goals. When someone dies in the #3 pumproom of the Spiegel Grove, I don't say to myself "What an idiot!", I say "well, he tooks his chances and paid the price". I don't penetrate caves or wrecks because it's OUT OF MY COMFORT ZONE. I don't think that people who do are stupid, I just don't do it myself.

And your comment about placing others at risk is hogwash. Anyone on a search and recovery team is there because they understand the risks, and have weighed them and decided to join the team anyway. They do so for their own reasons, not to meet some "Industry Standard". Once again, that kind of risk is beyond my comfort zone, because I believe that a dead body is not worth risking my life for. Props to those who do, they perform an important service to the family, and I applaud them for their dedication.

I've seen recreational divers bent on air at depths and times that were completely a mystery to me as to why they suffered a hit. Gases are available to prevent this. Should we all squirt some helium in our air to eliminate DCS? No, because helium doesn't eliminate DCS any more than diving at a 1.2 PO2 eliminates Oxygen Toxicity. So the industry defines drowning as one of the risks of diving. If you go diving, you are making a stupid decision because you may drown. Think about that the next time you make the decision to dive.

There are also indicators to high O2 exposure prior to convulsing. That is the result that happens when you ignore the other signs. Have you experienced any of these effects for yourself? Some of us have and we speak from experience, not just something we read in a book.

I'm not advocating widespread use of high PO2's. I'm advocating that responsible divers making informed decisions have the right to do so if they choose. They know the risks, they understand them and they accept them. Perhaps you missed this part of my post as well?

Always? I am not aware that there are always warning signs, or that if there are you have enough time to react. Even if you DO notice the effects some of the time there is no guarantee that it will happen every time. Do you have information that I am not aware of? Regardless, i dont really care if you make a decision that ends up with you drowning--hopefully it wont effect my life with some silly regulation or further restrictions on diving. What I care about I might address below.

Now, you tell me that 1.6 is an "Industry Standard" because someone published it in a book somewhere, my friend Ian had to get a certification card to do something he's been doing since before there were certification cards for it, and I'm making a stupid decision because I'm following the standards of the time I was trained. PADI issues C-Cards to divers diving voodoo gas without requiring them to make a dive using the gas.

I'm all for learning from mistakes. One of the problems with the industry is that folks make up "industry standards" with no basis for them.

...edited...

And your comment about placing others at risk is hogwash. Anyone on a search and recovery team is there because they understand the risks, and have weighed them and decided to join the team anyway. They do so for their own reasons, not to meet some "Industry Standard". Once again, that kind of risk is beyond my comfort zone, because I believe that a dead body is not worth risking my life for. Props to those who do, they perform an important service to the family, and I applaud them for their dedication.

Just because "standards" get changed doesnt mean they are wrong, they are just modified as more information comes in; its a natural side effect of an evolving understanding.

Further, my assertion is not hogwash. I was in the fire service for many years, and I have seen many accidents happen (fires, auto accidents, etc) and some of them were caused by reckless disregard for safety, which then put people in charge of rescuing those people under undo risk as well. Sometimes rushing to a scene and putting your life on the line for someone who legitimately had an unfortunate event happen is one thing, putting your life on the line for someone who was knowingly disregarding a generally accepted safety limit is completely another. So maybe it isnt a recover team, maybe it is a coast guard vessel that rushes to pick your a$$ up after you decide to disregard a limit that research has determined to be acceptable just because you feel like its ok. That isnt ok in my book, and sadly rescuers cant opt out of a rescue because someone was just doing something stupid.

You will probably just disregard this too as too far out there, but its a common concern in the first response community, and until you know someone who dies because of stupidity you will probably never understand.

I've seen recreational divers bent on air at depths and times that were completely a mystery to me as to why they suffered a hit. Gases are available to prevent this. Should we all squirt some helium in our air to eliminate DCS? No, because helium doesn't eliminate DCS any more than diving at a 1.2 PO2 eliminates Oxygen Toxicity. So the industry defines drowning as one of the risks of diving. If you go diving, you are making a stupid decision because you may drown. Think about that the next time you make the decision to dive.

I wasnt aware the reason for helium use is for the purpose of DCS risk decrease. From what I understand it can, in fact, actually increase the risk of more serious DCS.

Anyway, I am really bored with this and since neither side will budge (im sure) lets just call truce and discuss more serious topics such as whether split fins will kill you , huh?

my responses are pretty much in line with everyone else. When I was diving straight nitrox I would almost always dive 1.6 especially for the deeper recreational dives. Why? higher O2 give me a longer bottom time, the CNS exposure was not going to be anywhere near 100% as the bottom times were short. I never had a twinge.
For light tech I would go 1.4 bottom gas down to 200ft and 1.6 for deco. Why it is a generally accepted standard and at that point I had helium in the mix so 1.4 was acceptable yet still gave me adequate bottom time.
For CCR I run 1.2 for the dive and 1.6 for deco. Why? Again it's pretty standard and I see no need for what I am diving to push the limits. My bailout I will push to 1.6 but really just because it's what i have (for instance 18/45 on a 256ft dive) and the PO2 is for the absolute bottom and once i bailout i will be ascending almost immediately. Plus I already have a tank farm of bailouts so I am not going to dump 80cuft of 18/45 to get 10/50 for one dive to that depth. On long shallow runs, ie 3 hours at 70ft i may back down to 1 to reduce the O2 exposure.
Just my .02

Anyway, I am really bored with this and since neither side will budge (im sure) lets just call truce and discuss more serious topics such as whether split fins will kill you , huh?

I'm up with that. So, if you put pure O2 in your SpareAir, will you die on deco?

I'm up with that. So, if you put pure O2 in your SpareAir, will you die on deco?

Only if you deco deeper than 30'. The question is, will you die from OxTox, or from running out of deco gas after 3 minutes?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom