What's your PO2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3: And how many bones have you broken? :blinking:

:focus:

As mentioned before, the Navy used to find a max PPO2 of 2.0 acceptable. In the past 10-15 years, they've dialed it back to a max of 1.6.

So -- I'm asking for a SWAG here -- What kind of percentage of injury /death is acceptable?

If a max PPO2 resulted in 1% deaths and 3% incidences of OxTox . . . (that's a made-up statistic!) say, over a year.

And now the max PPO2 = 1.6 is resulting in .1% deaths and 1% incidences over a year . . .

What's acceptable?

Enough. Only one on a motorcycle tho.

I agree with the last part; with some digging, I could find it.

But for the first part . . . . when are we going to stop being responsible for every stupid Tom, Dick, and Harry? Shall we all do like the auto industry's "Closed course, professional driver, do not attempt", and put "Personal decision for this diver, do not attempt" in our sig blocks? :shakehead:

You can try to make things fool proof, but a better fool will come along.

I'm not going to police anyone. but I will call a spade and idiot where I see it :wink:

I'm not going to police anyone. but I will call a spade and idiot where I see it :wink:

:depressed:

oh come on! with the nice libertarian ideals in that last post of yours surely you're not going to be the PC police on me? :D lol

Litehedded and I are not likely to dive together anyway. I rig hogarthian, and he is DIR. I, however, do not express my opinion about folks who are DIR. I applaud him for knowing his limits and staying in his comfort zone. :D

Litehedded and I are not likely to dive together anyway. I rig hogarthian, and he is DIR. I, however, do not express my opinion about folks who are DIR. I applaud him for knowing his limits and staying in his comfort zone. :D

aw I'd dive with you! with a reasonable ppo2 that is :)

it has nothing to do with DIR and I'm not talking about you in particular. it's not personal and I generally enjoy your posts (and tortuga's for that matter)

but why do you push your ppo2 though? now I'm curious like Jax.

this whole thing reminds me of an article I read in the NACD journal or the NSSCDS magazine. it was a widow writing about the dives her husband used to do before he toxed

oh come on! with the nice libertarian ideals in that last post of yours surely you're not going to be the PC police on me? :D lol

Is it working? :blinking:

aw I'd dive with you! with a reasonable ppo2 that is :)

it has nothing to do with DIR and I'm not talking about you in particular. it's not personal and I generally enjoy your posts (and tortuga's for that matter)

but why do you push your ppo2 though? now I'm curious like Jax.

this whole thing reminds me of an article I read in the NACD journal or the NSSCDS magazine. it was a widow writing about the dives her husband used to do before he toxed

I don't consider it pushing it. It's how I was trained and it has worked for me in the past. I'm not stuck with those numbers either. As I said on my first post, my wife and normal dive buddy doesn't tolerate O2 well, so when we dive together, I mix for a 1.2 max, both deco and bottom. When I dive with my emergency backup buddy (who just switched to rebreather, so I likely won't dive with her anymore) she must have about 20% He in her deep deco mix, so I deco on 32/20. It's all about the situation. I hate mixing gas, so if I mix it, I tend to make a bunch and adjust my diving appropriately.

I'm just not fearful of it.

Edit: That was not a good way to say the last sentence. I just don't give it as wide a berth as others might.

I don't consider it pushing it. It's how I was trained and it has worked for me in the past. I'm not stuck with those numbers either. As I said on my first post, my wife and normal dive buddy doesn't tolerate O2 well, so when we dive together, I mix for a 1.2 max, both deco and bottom. When I dive with my emergency backup buddy (who just switched to rebreather, so I likely won't dive with her anymore) she must have about 20% He in her deep deco mix, so I deco on 32/20. It's all about the situation. I hate mixing gas, so if I mix it, I tend to make a bunch and adjust my diving appropriately.

I'm just not fearful of it.

Edit: That was not a good way to say the last sentence. I just don't give it as wide a berth as others might.

So - You trained early in diving to a PPO2 of 2.0, know you aren't as susceptible to OxTox as some, and due to your personal history, find the risk of DCS greater than the risk of OxTox . . . did I get that right?

This is not a 'You should go out and do this" kind of thread, nor is it a "hold my beer and watch this" kind, either. This is a "what are your tolerances for risk" type of thread. I would hope every diver limits their exposure to whatever (cold, O2, He, N2, abusive DM's) to something within their comfort zone/experience level, and when they want to push the envelope, they get the proper training/mentoring to do so safely. I don't dive solo with a PO2 of 2.0, but I do make those dives. My buddy is well aware of my gas planning.

I don't agree with your choice of PO2's but I do agree with your reasoning. I've only met you in person once, but we know enough of the same people that I know you've got enough experience and training to make this decision and risk assessment for yourself. It's not something I'd make a habit of, but I certainly won't be the one telling you not to either. Now if you were inexperienced or untrained, that might be a different story...

Years ago I've did a high PO2 dive with a buddy who experienced Wah Wah's and early signs of ox tox while I was completely unaffected. It provided for an interesting couple of minutes. Different people have different tolerances.

There are a lot of people who tweak deco schedules based on how they feel during or after a dive. It's a matter of listening to your body and you're the person who knows it best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom