What's your PO2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Um, guys, we're talking about Wookie, here.

I'm not sure, but he may have more hours underwater than y'all have on this Earth . . . . :wink:

that means exactly nothing to me. not that I'm slamming him in particular.

There are some things that you just cant get around with number of dives. Increasing age and definite human physiological susceptibility to ox tox are two of em. Just because it hasn't gotten you yet doesn't mean it wont, and in a world with gases that can decrease, significantly, the risk, why would you bother taking the risk? IJS

My point exactly!!! I want to know why people choose to take that risk.

Also, i dont know wookie.

I trust that Wookie knows Wookie. :wink:

Welcome to Scubaboard folks, where if you express a different opinion to some people you're an internet hero and YOU'RE GUNNA DIE!!1!

Now you cut it out, too! You haven't told us about why you punch up the PPO2! :scorned:

My point exactly!!! I want to know why people choose to take that risk.

I trust that Wookie knows Wookie. :wink:

nickel rocketry and deco weinery?

ok I've had my fun. I'll leave this thread to you guys and crawl back to my tech section

nickel rocketry and deco weinery?

ok I've had my fun. I'll leave this thread to you guys and crawl back to my tech section

Aren't you curious why people would do something? I like to know how a race motorcycle rider countersteers through the turns . . . . I don't want to run out and try it. :)

Aren't you curious why people would do something? I like to know how a race motorcycle rider countersteers through the turns . . . . I don't want to run out and try it. :)

On flat track they use weight and throttle, on motocross they use weight, muscle, throttle and brakes. On sport bikes its weight, throttle and their knee :D

I think they do it because they have inappropriate exposure protection to do the deco they signed up for. so they push ppo2 on the bottom to reduce it, instead of spending money on equipment. Or they'll dive air deep to save money on helium. relying on nitrogen being a CNS depressant to stave off a toxic event on the bottom.

or some of them just want to see what will happen. it doesn't much matter to me.

the problem being, Johnny Scubaboard comes along and sees the people doing this have tons of technical training listed in their profile or they're an instructor, and people on here say oh that's so-and-so he has tons of dives so he must know what he's doing. then johnny goes out to some deep wreck or eagle's nest and bites it.

there is a reason the max acceptable ppo2 has been scaled back. it's not just for $h!ts and giggles :wink:

On flat track they use weight and throttle, on motocross they use weight, muscle, throttle and brakes. On sport bikes its weight, throttle and their knee :D

:rofl3: And how many bones have you broken? :blinking:

:focus:

As mentioned before, the Navy used to find a max PPO2 of 2.0 acceptable. In the past 10-15 years, they've dialed it back to a max of 1.6.

So -- I'm asking for a SWAG here -- What kind of percentage of injury /death is acceptable?

If a max PPO2 resulted in 1% deaths and 3% incidences of OxTox . . . (that's a made-up statistic!) say, over a year.

And now the max PPO2 = 1.6 is resulting in .1% deaths and 1% incidences over a year . . .

What's acceptable?

the problem being, Johnny Scubaboard comes along and sees the people doing this have tons of technical training listed in their profile or they're an instructor, and people on here say oh that's so-and-so he has tons of dives so he must know what he's doing. then johnny goes out to some deep wreck or eagle's nest and bites it.

there is a reason the max acceptable ppo2 has been scaled back. it's not just for $h!ts and giggles :wink:

I agree with the last part; with some digging, I could find it.

But for the first part . . . . when are we going to stop being responsible for every stupid Tom, Dick, and Harry? Shall we all do like the auto industry's "Closed course, professional driver, do not attempt", and put "Personal decision for this diver, do not attempt" in our sig blocks? :shakehead:

You can try to make things fool proof, but a better fool will come along.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom