What's your PO2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

based on my experience (I actually died few times of OxTox) I am now more concerned about the actual CNS % value (that I try to keep < 80%) than the PO2 absolute value per se.

Having said that, on OC I might allow a PO2 of 1.6, but when on CCR I program the Predator Set Point H to <1.2 (and I descend slowly)

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Don't worry .... it happened only in the sim :D

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

It seems to me that those of us who certified later had the fear of [-]God[/-] OxTox drilled into us so heavily that it's hard to look at that 2.0 or 1.8 thingy with objectiveness.

1.4 bottom for me unless i know im expecting to work then maybe 1.2 or 1.3. That's rare though.

1.6 always for deco.

those of us who certified later had the fear of [-]God[/-] OxTox drilled into us so heavily that it's hard to look at that 2.0 or 1.8 thingy with objectiveness

I certified pretty early on, and well remember one liveaboard at Tiran when I did 7 dives a day for three days, the first four each day being to below 75msw. All on air with some standard nitrox to speed up deco. I'm not sure I'd do that nowadays, but then I suffered no ill effects.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

It seems to me that those of us who certified later had the fear of [-]God[/-] OxTox drilled into us so heavily that it's hard to look at that 2.0 or 1.8 thingy with objectiveness.

The way I like to think about it is as a direct proportion: higher po2 equals a higher risk for the chance of something happening. Some friends of mine had to chase down some dumb*** divers on a charter about a month ago. They hit 136 fsw on EANx36. Both had no issues. How lucky do you feel?

BTW, 1.4 bottom with an allowable of 1.5 for seeing something REALLY cool but we aren't hanging around for long in that case. I don't do deco yet.

Peace,
Greg

1.4 for me throughout the whole dive

The way I like to think about it is as a direct proportion: higher po2 equals a higher risk for the chance of something happening.

Yeah, that is the idea behind the oxygen clock, but you can still have only a few minutes of exposure and develop symptoms of CNS ox tox.

Yeah, that is the idea behind the oxygen clock

Only a technicality, but I disagree. The oxygen clock assumes a maximum possible exposure measured by time, which you then progress towards as time passes. the chance element is a different theory.

Only a technicality, but I disagree. The oxygen clock assumes a maximum possible exposure measured by time, which you then progress towards as time passes. the chance element is a different theory.

I was referring more to the dose response aspect; as dose of high pO2 increases you reach a point determined to be 100%, where the likelihood of experiencing tox has been determined to be very high. Obviously, it's not all or none, as would be expected by a dose response curve. Some people can go beyond the 100% mark and not get toxed, and some people cant get to the 10% mark at some pO2s.

The clock component is the idea that you only have a certain number of minutes at a specific pO2. So on technicality you may be right. Thanks for pointing that out :)

Back
Top Bottom