What's your PO2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halemanō;5623840:
Alright, I'm an NDL diver who would push a gentle 1.8 max depth for the right reason(s). My non-deco IANTD Nitrox training was 1.6/1.8. Still a 3 minute SS and tank price unchanged.

I would love to see the IANTD nitrox manual suggesting/teaching PPO of 1.8

PPO2 1.6 MAX on recreational dives (Warm water and low workload )!!!!

I'd like to see it as well. It's possible he's just going on memory and thinks it's 1.8.
I'd double check that.
How old is that IANTD manual?

-Mitch

I still haven't heard any reasons

At the end of the day, there's really only one reason for exceeding a particular PPO2 benchmark - whether it's 1.6, 1.4, 1.2 or whatever: that you believe that the risk of an incident occuring to you on the particular dive that you are doing is acceptable

I certainly don't do it because I'm too tight to buy a drysuit (so I can dive in 30 degree C water? yeah, right) or whatever your other blanket hypothethis was, cutting deco time?

What do I base my risk assessment on?

1. Dosage/exposure theory
2. Personal history/circumstances
3. Buddy experience
4. Various other factors

YMMV

At the end of the day, there's really only one reason for exceeding a particular PPO2 benchmark - whether it's 1.6, 1.4, 1.2 or whatever: that you believe that the risk of an incident occuring to you on the particular dive that you are doing is acceptable

I certainly don't do it because I'm too tight to buy a drysuit (so I can dive in 30 degree C water? yeah, right) or whatever your other blanket hypothethis was, cutting deco time?

What do I base my risk assessment on?

1. Dosage/exposure theory
2. Personal history/circumstances
3. Buddy experience
4. Various other factors

YMMV

or a 2.31? can you not get hypoxic gas? is that why you want to push it like that?

The point is no matter what your limit is, there is likely going to be someone somewhere who is more conservative than you. What's acceptable to you might seem foolhardy to others, whether it's cave diving, deep air or whatever. I'm okay with that, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

To answer your question, hypoxic gas is available where I do my deep dives, although I'm not certified for it - but there's nothing stopping me getting certified if I felt the need to do so. Nothing to do with saving money, nickel rocketry, deco weenery or anything else other than I don't feel the need for it currently

I know you're not going to agree with me, but that's life. I'm sure if I do oxtox you'll be clucking your tongue and saying I told you so, but I won't be around to be bothered by it, so be my guest

If you feel that's promoting unsafe diving practices to Johnny Scubaboard, so be it - I disagree. When I tell people not to do it, I get told I'm "thumbing my nose" at the general populace. Since lying or not expressing my personal viewpoint when it's solicited are both equally unpallatable to me, tough

For me, it's a challenge to gradually push what I consider to be reasonably acceptable (to me) limits. I've gradually worked my way down to 2.0 and feel okay doing it. I know other people who have done 2.31 and more, and I believe I can do it too, with what I consider an acceptable degree of risk - not that there's any peer pressure for me to do it, because there isn't. It's just a personal thing

Neither would I encourage anyone else to do it, especially without appropriate experience & consideration

The point is no matter what your limit is, there is likely going to be someone somewhere who is more conservative than you. What's acceptable to you might seem foolhardy to others, whether it's cave diving, deep air or whatever. I'm okay with that, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

To answer your question, hypoxic gas is available where I do my deep dives, although I'm not certified for it - but there's nothing stopping me getting certified if I felt the need to do so. Nothing to do with saving money, nickel rocketry, deco weenery or anything else other than I don't feel the need for it currently

I know you're not going to agree with me, but that's life. I'm sure if I do oxtox you'll be clucking your tongue and saying I told you so, but I won't be around to be bothered by it, so be my guest

If you feel that's promoting unsafe diving practices to Johnny Scubaboard, so be it - I disagree. When I tell people not to do it, I get told I'm "thumbing my nose" at the general populace. Since lying or not expressing my personal viewpoint when it's solicited are both equally unpallatable to me, tough

For me, it's a challenge to gradually push what I consider to be reasonably acceptable (to me) limits. I've gradually worked my way down to 2.0 and feel okay doing it. I know other people who have done 2.31 and more, and I believe I can do it too - not that there's any peer pressure for me to do it, there isn't. It's a personal thing

Neither would I encourage anyone else to do it, especially without appropriate experience & consideration

well, no. I hope you get some symptoms before you have a seizure. and I hope it's not someone reading this that it happens to.

I wonder if the guy who toxed at Wayne's World over in Tampa got any symptoms before he toxed and drowned. or the guy AG had to rescue during a class of his. or the lady who toxed at The Crack (a river cave) while diving a pretty 'normal' ppo2. there's a reason the standard gas around here is 32% instead of the 34% it used to be. I'll give you a hint: it's because of dead people.

I just question what advantage comes along with adding SUBSTANTIAL risk to your dive profile. not having to take a class?

Last edited:
well, no. I hope you get some symptoms before you have a seizure. and I hope it's not someone reading this that it happens to

Well, we agree that neither of us wants for me or anyone else to oxtox. What a breakthrough, this could be the start of a beautiful friendship <3

I wonder if the guy who toxed at Wayne's World over in Tampa got any symptoms before he toxed and drowned. or the guy AG had to rescue during a class of his. or the lady who toxed at The Crack (a river cave) while diving a pretty 'normal' ppo2. there's a reason the standard gas around here is 32% instead of the 34% it used to be. I'll give you a hint: it's because of dead people

Yes, I wonder. People die all the time. So what? A sample size of three is extremely low. Shall we list all the people that have done >1.6 and lived? The A&I forum is full of people who died doing 'normal' dives

Anyway, what was the "pretty normal" PP02 of the Crack lady in question? As was mentioned earlier, people have toxed at and below 1.6, does that mean everyone should dive 1.0? I'm really not sure what your point is

I don't see what standard mix has to do with it either, .32 has a different MOD to .34 no matter what your PP02 limit is... Are you saying that .32 is safer at >insert PP02 here< than .34 is at the same partial pressure?

I just question what advantage comes along with adding SUBSTANTIAL risk to your dive profile. not having to take a class?

You asked for reasons to exceed what you consider to be a safe limit, not advantages. I gave you my reasons. As I already said, taking the class is not a factor. Let's all not dive then no-one will oxtox. It's a personal risk assesment based on factors I have already detailed. You feel you're safe at 1.6, other people have higher or lower limits. Not everyone shares your opinion when it comes to their own diving habits. Let it go

Well, we agree that neither of us wants for me or anyone else to oxtox. What a breakthrough, this could be the start of a beautiful friendship <3

Yes, I wonder. People die all the time. So what? A sample size of three is extremely low. Shall we list all the people that have done >1.6 and lived? The A&I forum is full of people who died doing 'normal' dives

Anyway, what was the "pretty normal" PP02 of the Crack lady in question? As was mentioned earlier, people have toxed at and below 1.6, does that mean everyone should dive 1.0? I'm really not sure what your point is

I don't see what standard mix has to do with it either, .32 has a different MOD to .34 no matter what your PP02 limit is... Are you saying that .32 is safer at >insert PP02 here< than .34 is at the same partial pressure?

You asked for reasons to exceed what you consider to be a safe limit, not advantages. I gave you my reasons. As I already said, taking the class is not a factor. Let's all not dive then no-one will oxtox. It's a personal risk assesment based on factors I have already detailed. You feel you're safe at 1.6, other people have higher or lower limits. Not everyone shares your opinion when it comes to their own diving habits. Let it go

meh
ok

No, everyone will say to wait for the official report that will never be released. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom