What's your PO2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Imagine if I posted that I was considering running a marathon...

- Don't you know you could have a heart attack and DIE??

- Why don't you drive instead, it would be quicker and easier & less risk of a heart attack

- Don't they have cars where you are? Or are you just too cheap to buy one?

I get it. you're a big macho deep air, 'extended range', high ppo2 diving badass. you can pull it off because your RAW POWER allows you to tolerate levels of dumb that would kill mere mortals

AWESOME.jpg

You're a big macho deep air, 'extended range', high ppo2 diving badass. you can pull it off because your RAW POWER allows you to tolerate levels of dumb that would kill mere mortals

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying :rolleyes:

And here's my t-shirt:

attachment.php

Attachments

• tshirt_DA.JPG
    tshirt_DA.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 92
Hasn't the Navy done tests to determine the Po2 that killed the least people? I haven't studied this extensively but that's my understanding. For that reason, I trust that 1.4 working and 1.6 deco is the most Po2 I want for my own personal safety.

I have pushed it before, I think to 1.5 working but it might have been 1.6, I don't recall. I didn't stay at that depth for long, and I did not relish the idea of pushing it. I also switched to o2 once at 30' without thinking about it. I realized my mistake almost immediately and switched back, and now I'm extremely careful to double check my depth and my MOD before switching.

Because oxtox can be unpredictable, I see no sense at all in pushing my Po2 as any sort of personal challenge. I believe in taking predictable risks that are controllable. Messing around with gasses is not nearly as predictable or controllable as something like diving in a cave. The body's responses to gases can change based on a variety of factors beyond my direct control. I don't see any benefit to pushing Po2, diving with a high Po2 doesn't make me feel any better about myself when I go to bed at night, so I'll try to lower my Po2 risks and enjoy taking other, calculated risks.

Thanks JJ for your well-worded post

Because oxtox can be unpredictable, I see no sense at all in pushing my Po2 as any sort of personal challenge

It's dealing with narcosis that interests me more as a personal challenge, not the PP02; that's just a by-product

Hasn't the Navy done tests to determine the Po2 that killed the least people?

That would be 0.0

Thanks JJ for your well-worded post

It's dealing with narcosis that interests me more as a personal challenge, not the PP02; that's just a by-product

I understand that. I drive drunk as a personal challenge, the high blood-alcohol level is just a by-product. :D

Last edited:
I don't understand the desire to deal with narcosis either. Do you also like to see how well you can drive while drunk? Seems very similar. Diving is an environment where mistakes kill you rather easily, similar to driving, and narcosis is very similar to drinking. Why take any more narcosis than necessary? Why drive if you are over the legal limit, or any limit that impairs you enough to make you dangerous to yourself or others?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom