What's your PO2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks JJ for your well-worded post

It's dealing with narcosis that interests me more as a personal challenge, not the PP02; that's just a by-product

That would be 0.0

0 oxygen kills everyone....I think you meant .21.

I don't understand the desire to deal with narcosis either. Do you also like to see how well you can drive while drunk? Seems very similar. Diving is an environment where mistakes kill you rather easily, similar to driving, and narcosis is very similar to drinking. Why take any more narcosis than necessary? Why drive if you are over the legal limit, or any limit that impairs you enough to make you dangerous to yourself or others?

I'll agree with "narcosis is very similar to drinking" in that it impairs your motor and mental skills, but I think that like most analogies, the comparison of drink-driving to diving narcosis fails to hold true under closer examination

People love to play the drink-driving card; it's an emotive one that most people can relate to, usually with negative connotations - it's illegal for a start, and in Western society at least we've all been bombarded with public awareness campaigns about how evil it is and the harm it does to innocent people, families, society etc

However for the sake of conversation, let's adopt your analogy: what is the 'safe' blood alcohol content for driving? 0.00? 0.02? 0.05? 0.08? 0.10? They are all legal in various parts of the world, so which one should be applied as a blanket rule for everyone? 0.00 is the safest, right? But would there be no motor vehicle accidents if everyone was at 0.00? No

Some people are unsafe to drive at 0.0x, the same as some people get narc'd out of their brain at XXm. No I am not saying, as LiteHedded said, that I am 'better' than anyone else - just that different people have different tolerances, and experiences

Do you see a similarity with some comments this thread?

0 oxygen kills everyone....I think you meant .21

Yes you're right; although sometimes everyone dying doesn't seem like such a bad idea when it comes to threads like this one

I agree that people's impairment under different po2's and bac's will vary. However in both cases we have impairment that is difficult or impossible for the impaired person to measure, and a situation where death risk is increased due to impairment, with some base level of death risk inherent in the sport.

Everyone has to set limits foe themselves. I feel the analogy is near perfect, aside from the fact that driving impaired has a higher chance of killing others than diving impaired.

1. I agree that people's impairment under different po2's and bac's will vary. However in both cases we have impairment that is difficult or impossible for the impaired person to measure, and a situation where death risk is increased due to impairment, with some base level of death risk inherent in the sport.

2. Everyone has to set limits for themselves. I feel the analogy is near perfect, aside from the fact that driving impaired has a higher chance of killing others than diving impaired.

Well here's my opinion, which is just that, an opinion & therefore valid for me only:

1. I don't like arguing this one because again it is an emotive issue, but when I was a teenager I could get wasted on 4 beers; now I could have 4 beers and do most things competently. What does that mean in terms of diving? Nothing

2. Another difference to the analogy is that if you are narc'd you can ascend and become 'instantly' sober; of course you have know to do it, but you can't do that when you're drunk either way

We're way off topic as usual - PPO2 1.6 is a safe guideline, and I support it. Most people aren't going to die if they exceed it, otherwise the safe guideline would be lower. Likewise most people - but not all - will be safe slightly above it. Would everyone be safer if the 'limit' was 1.4 or 1.2?

Guess that that means? Someone will go beyond 1.6 and live; and someone will stay under it and die

Well here's my opinion, which is just that, an opinion & valid for me only:

1. I don't like arguing this one because again it is an emotive issue, but when I was a teenager I could get wasted on 4 beers; now I could have 4 beers and do most things competently. What does that mean in terms of diving? Nothing

2. Another difference to the analogy is that if you are narc'd you can ascend and become 'instantly' sober; of course you have know to do it, but you can't do that when you're drunk either way

We're way off topic as usual - PPO2 1.6 is a safe guideline, and I suport it. Most people aren't going to die if they exceed it, otherwise the safe guideline would be lower. Likewise most people - but not all - will be safe slightly above it

Guess that that means? Someone will go beyond 1.6 and live; and someone will stay under it and die

assuming you are able to ascend...

What part of "of course you have to know to do it" don't you get?

It's still a difference in the analogy - you can't 'ascend' when you're drunk

What part of "of course you have to know to do it" don't you get?

It's still a difference in the analogy - you can't 'ascend' when you're drunk

the point being, even if you know how to do it you're not always able to ascend in technical diving...

Indeed. As I said earlier, I am comfortable diving >1.6 for the dives that I do

Which happen to be OW dives, so ascending is always an option

Again, I'm not suggesting (or promoting, as you said) that other people should do PPO2 >1.6

Doesn't mean I'm a superdiver on nickel rocketry

Ascending to 30m is always an option for me

Indeed. As I said earlier, I am comfortable diving >1.6 for the dives that I do

Which happen to be OW dives, so ascending is always an option

Again, I'm not suggesting (or promoting, as you said) that other people should do PPO2 >1.6

Doesn't mean I'm a superdiver on nickel rocketry

Ascending to 30m is always an option for me

He is talking about OW, in technical diving there is a term virtual overhead. Yes you may go up, but going up can kill you. If you dont know this you might want to learn about it.

Back
Top Bottom