What's wrong with Split Fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mania, where did I refer to you as an internet diver? Dive what you like and not what people on the internet like, I don't see what's so hard about that to grasp. As far as my dive count, you're obviously much more of a big tough man than I. Oh, or I spent six of those years in school away from diving options and without a source of income. Either way really, take your pick.

Any fin will make a certain amount of thrust, regardless of current. If the thrust can develop enough relative speed to surpass that current, then you go forward. There's no way that "split fins don't work in current". I'd be similarly full of crap to say "fin type Y does not work in fresh water".

hokie_diver:
mania, where did I refer to you as an internet diver? Dive what you like and not what people on the internet like, I don't see what's so hard about that to grasp. As far as my dive count, you're obviously much more of a big tough man than I. Oh, or I spent six of those years in school away from diving options and without a source of income. Either way really, take your pick.

Any fin will make a certain amount of thrust, regardless of current. If the thrust can develop enough relative speed to surpass that current, then you go forward. There's no way that "split fins don't work in current". I'd be similarly full of crap to say "fin type Y does not work in fresh water".
Mania is very much a she.

You have just proved you have no experience and are very defensive about it. But are very willing to give your opinion on the suitability of fins.

Who's the internet diver now?

hokie_diver:
...I'd be similarly full of crap to say "fin type Y does not work in fresh water".
Actually, I understand that it's fin type Z, and it only works in brackish water during a full moon...

(...and then, only if you put two quarters in the split...)

Huh? I don't recommend any type of fin to anyone, but from the physics don't believe the argument about split fins and current.

I don't care which type of fin people choose, but I have an engineering background and some experience in how fins and propellors work. That's the question I posed and the response is effectively "I have more dives than you so shut up." My apologies, and you are right that I am by no means an experienced diver, but I claimed no such thing and it's not the point of this thread.

I started out with split fins when I was first certified. I have a pair of Scubapro twin jets. I am not a fast swimmer in general and had trouble keeping up with others on surface swims. An instructor suggested I try standard Scubapro jetfins. They work great for me and I am no longer left behind. This has been my own personal experience. Nothing more, nothing less.

May I throw this little thought out?

Suppose the split fins have 1.5X the surface area of the blade fin and are of an equal length.

Which fin will then provide more thrust?

Apples to apples and oranges to oranges . . . .

Any argument is invalid without specific data of the respective fins being discussed.

the K

The Kraken:
May I throw this little thought out?

Suppose the split fins have 1.5X the surface area of the blade fin and are of an equal length.

Which fin will then provide more thrust?

Apples to apples and oranges to oranges . . . .

Any argument is invalid without specific data of the respective fins being discussed.

the K
Why do people who have bad knee's always pick splits?

I know you propeller heads would love hard data, but maybe you might be better off actually diving.

hokie_diver:
I don't care which type of fin people choose, but I have an engineering background and some experience in how fins and propellors work.
LOL..

I do.

May I ask the basis of your insinuation?

the K

These threads always crack me up. If someone wants to dive with a pair of ping pong paddles strapped to their feet, or anything else, more power to them as long as they are happy. If it works for them, who am I to judge. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom