What's wrong with Split Fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oops, just caught the typo in my first post. Insert "professor" for "profession."

howarde:
and that many people are saying that all of the "alternate" kicks are able to be done with split fins :11:

but fighting strong currents. Which may happen any time any place....
:D

Mania

mania:
but fighting strong currents. Which may happen any time any place....
:D

Mania
Luckily for me I don't usually have to fight the currents, rather I just go with them.

I can't imagine that any fin is really good to fight a strong current if it's sucking you down, or sideways, or anyway.

WarmWaterDiver:
Goose : When did Tusa buy the Omega company that is marketing the Amphibian hinged fins?

Thanks for the correction and the input on the fin.

If someone is claiming that they did fine in a 6knot curent, they have no idea what they're talking about...

I'd like someone to explain the reasoning behind "split fins don't work in current" for me. It makes absolutely zero physical sense and in addition to being able to anecdotally (is that a word?) disprove it, I simply don't believe it.

Not coming down on either side of this argument; dive what you like and what you're comfortable with, not what the internet divers have to say.

hokie_diver:
I'd like someone to explain the reasoning behind "split fins don't work in current" for me. It makes absolutely zero physical sense and in addition to being able to anecdotally (is that a word?) disprove it, I simply don't believe it.
Thrust.

Just went to some splits in March '07 after 22 years of diving with my old standby Turbo's........Splits were good but I'm thinking about getting another pair of the 'oldies'.......Then I can be a (partial) DIR & bring down both pair, just in case you know......

String:
You either love split fins or hate them. I hate them in a way words cant even begin to describe.

Seemingly lots of effort and flopping around for very little propulsion. Frog kick and backwards fin i found near impossible with them. Also found them exceedingly poor in currents.

Worst weeks diving i ever had when i had to borrow someones splits due to my strap snapping.

They feel very soft, but actually work well. You need to kick with a much shorter stroke (keep the fins pretty much in line with your body) to make them work.

The colored and gray ScubaPro Twin-Jets are too soft to work against a significant current, however the black Twin-Jets are much stiffer and work just fine.

Terry

Hokie
You just called me an internet diver. So I had a look at your profile which says you have 50 - 99 dives and you are certified for 10 years. This means ten dives per year, right?
While I have something like 3 times as many dives as you done within 4 years.....
Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom