What's wrong with Split Fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hokie
I was the one that wrote about the current. So your answer formaly was not directed to me but still was.
As Jeff said - I'm a woman, rather small than big. And what I wrote was from my own experience. You really need a lot of power to fight a current with splits. They are much softer and they "break". While paddle fins has this power within them - so less power in legs is required. Try to "break" jet fins.....

But this experience comes with diving. The more you dive the more you learn. I'm still learning. At the same time I try to share my experience with others. They are still free to make their own choices. I had listen to some of advice I got here from more experienced divers and never regreted this.

Web Monkey - I had SP yellow and grey ones. They are very, very soft.

Mania

The Kraken:
I do.

May I ask the basis of your insinuation?

the K
Do what?

Like hard data instead of actually diving?

I just don't get why a simple question often turns into slinging mud and insults at each other. The question was about split & paddle fins. Give pro's & con's based either on personal experience or known data. I can see having fun just throwing stuff back and forth but when a new diver is looking for some experienced input it seems to me that it lends to a bad perception of divers.

Bobby

please try the Tusa split fins before making your mind up been cave diving for 22 years these are the best fins I have tried ,52 years old now they are great for my knees and do any type of kick with them . good luck in your search

Lilla:
A profession of engineering at Duke who specializes in fluid dynamics told me that splits are not as efficient as paddles.

Funny an engineer at Harvard who specializes in fluid dynamics told me that splits are more efficient than paddles, and his colleague at Yale confirmed the findings! :eyebrow:

Well, now you have read it on the internet, so that MUST be true! :mooner:

mania:
Hokie
I was the one that wrote about the current. So your answer formaly was not directed to me but still was.
As Jeff said - I'm a woman, rather small than big. And what I wrote was from my own experience. You really need a lot of power to fight a current with splits. They are much softer and they "break". While paddle fins has this power within them - so less power in legs is required. Try to "break" jet fins.....

But this experience comes with diving. The more you dive the more you learn. I'm still learning. At the same time I try to share my experience with others. They are still free to make their own choices. I had listen to some of advice I got here from more experienced divers and never regreted this.

Web Monkey - I had SP yellow and grey ones. They are very, very soft.

Mania

Thank you, and I apologize for any misunderstanding. Your comments above were the sort I was looking for. I know it's silly to some people but the process of fin propulsion is interesting and I was simply trying to learn something while being clear I didn't care to take sides.

Cheers.

RonFrank:
Funny an engineer at Harvard who specializes in fluid dynamics told me that splits are more efficient than paddles, and his colleague at Yale confirmed the findings! :eyebrow:

Well, now you have read it on the internet, so that MUST be true! :mooner:

Just passing along what I was told from someone with more knowledge than myself - take it for what it's worth to you - total BS if you like.
:blinking:

JeffG:
Why do people who have bad knee's always pick splits?

I know you propeller heads would love hard data, but maybe you might be better off actually diving.

JeffG,

That one . . . ????

the K

JeffG:
Why do people who have bad knee's always pick splits?

I know you propeller heads would love hard data, but maybe you might be better off actually diving.
Perhaps because they produce less fatigue, less cramping, greater comfort, and a more enjoyable dive?

(oh... that's based on diving... I don't have any propeller head data on the cramping/comfort factor...)

The Kraken:
JeffG,

That one . . . ????

the K
So you don't think I have tried splits? I must admit I hated them so much, that a version of them has never made it "dead scuba parts" area of my closet. I did buy a pair of Aeris Velocity fins. (a fin somewhere inbetween splits and paddles) They now are somewhere in the middle of the "dead scuba parts" area .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom