What's wrong with Split Fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladycute1:
I have a pair of Apollo Bio Fins... Splits. I have over 500 dives on them. And I love them... I've used them in current.... the boat captain estimated the current at 6 knots -- I had no problem

Liz

The Apollo web site claims a speed of 2.5 mph for both the old AV-1 and new AV-2 dive scooters. Your post makes it sound as if you can kick dive nearly 2.5 times faster than a scooter dive (headway in 6 knot current?). The problem you had was listening to the captain. I've seen a CD unable to tow a DM canidate (also kicking) into a less than 2 knot current, both using the first SP splits. Splits are better now but still;

'06 SP twin jets for sale - $100 (xl open heel, used twice).

ladycute1:
I have a pair of Apollo Bio Fins... Splits. I have over 500 dives on them. And I love them... I've used them in current.... the boat captain estimated the current at 6 knots -- I had no problem....

Liz
My suggestion is for you to join the USN divers and show them how to get the job done. Even the USN sets SCUBA at under 2 knots for a diver to hold his own for any length of time. That means you are 3X faster than the divers that are in the best shape anyone could ever hope to be in during their lifetime.

Your Capt was full of something he needed to get rid of and it sounds like he got a good con on you.

Gary D.

halemano:
The Apollo web site claims a speed of 2.5 mph for both the old AV-1 and new AV-2 dive scooters. Your post makes it sound as if you can kick dive nearly 2.5 times faster than a scooter dive (headway in 6 knot current?). The problem you had was listening to the captain. I've seen a CD unable to tow a DM canidate (also kicking) into a less than 2 knot current, both using the first SP splits. Splits are better now but still;

'06 SP twin jets for sale - $100 (xl open heel, used twice).
I may be mistaken, but I don't see where she said it was headway into 6 knots.

We were always taught to swim parallel to a rip current (same applies to an open water ripping current) until you're out of it. Of course, that's not always practical in open water, however, the current doesn't always give you a chioice. Maintaining control by being able to build up speed in a cross-current is one of the splits' assets...

I used split fins. And loved them. I had no problem with frog kick. Everything was perfect till one day.
I just swam a bit too far. At the end of this reef (Woodhouse - Tiran - Red Sea) there is a current called "whirlpool". It's a very strong current that goes down. I found myself right in it.

Finally i managed to get out. But it was the last time I used split fins. They were useless. Didn't give any power. They are way too soft to give you enough strengh to fight such current.

Mania

A professor of engineering at Duke who specializes in fluid dynamics told me that splits are not as efficient as paddles.

Lilla:
A profession of engineering at Duke who specializes in fluid dynamics told me that splits are not as efficient as paddles.
Really?
What's his/her name and e-mail address? I'd be interested in the study he/she did to come to that conclusion... We can finally put an end to the endless threads on this debate...
Perhaps it will even convert me...

Nothing.

the K

BKP:
Really?
What's his/her name and e-mail address? I'd be interested in the study he/she did to come to that conclusion... We can finally put an end to the endless threads on this debate...
Perhaps it will even convert me...

Really... but admittedly I don't know that he has studied the properties of scuba fins specifically. It may have just been his "educated guess" based on his study of marine mammal fins, propellers, etc. I will contact him to see if he can reference any studies on the matter.

Regards,
L.

SkullDeformity:
This discussion is so tired and repeated, most of us are sick and tired of it. Besides, trolling is fun?
Especially with SO MUCH experience? Right?

It seems to me - that after reading this most recent version of the thread, that the vast majority of people are saying; go with whatever you like better; and that many people are saying that all of the "alternate" kicks are able to be done with split fins :11:

Back
Top Bottom