What's wrong with Split Fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife has been using red Tusa SF8 Zoom split fins for 5 years, and always has half or lower SAC rate compared to mine.

Nothing is wrong with split fins. The USCG report on the Healy accident reinforced the notion that under certaim circumstances they may not be appropriate for use but noted that they were appropriate for sport diving and snorkeling. I don't know of many divers that would find themselves in the inappropriate circumstances under normal conditions.

All dive equipment has limitations and advantages. The importance is knowing what each is and whether or not you as a diver are likely to encounter conditions where its a different without a distinction.

There is nothing as hard on a diver's equipment as another diver using different equipment. Newbies just make easy targets for people who think that any of this matters.

The dive industry goes through fads, just as any sport does. In the late 80's neon accents were the rage on wetsuits, bc's, and equipment. Depending on your point of view, it either made you look cool or like a dork, take your choice as the scuba community is equally divided between the two. The latest fad is tech gear. Few divers using it will ever be placed in a situation where it makes a difference. That doesn't really matter. Scuba like many individual sports allows a certain amount of self expression and personal preferences.

I have both, atomic splits and turtles(and oms slipstreams wich are pretty much the same thing...) splits are easier on the calf muscles, and I equate them to a car with no 1st gear but a real nice overdrive. You can swim real fast but it might take you a little while getting up to speed. Paddle fins have a lot of torque, imagine an work truck that can haul a lot of gear and will smoke the tires a block long but max out at fairly low speed. If you only plan on tropical vacation style diving (chasing the pretty fishies) with color coordinated gear, you would PROBABLY be happier with splits. If you get into tech diving or possibly photo(better fine control), you will want paddles.

David P:
"(chasing the pretty fishies) with color coordinated gear", you would PROBABLY be happier with splits. If you get into tech diving or possibly photo(better fine control), you will want paddles.

very well, and humorously put!!

(It's the first thing a dive tech asked me when i went to a shop.. "what do you want to see"; fishies, rays, lobsters, sharks... oooohh... )

sorry for the hijack..

Have fun with your purchase... key goal, is to not have to buy something twice.... unless you go techy!! :D

What I'm curious about is how the Apollo Bio-fins come out so much better than all the other split fins in the magazine tests. It would be good to see some objective explanation for that.

I'm still unsure if my Force Fins are really a lot better than my old Tusa Imperex fins. At first I thought they were no different, then I started thinking they were a LOT better; lately I'm not so sure. I know my technique is bad, but it seems to me that my Force Fins frog kick OK, despite what everybody says. And they go backwards just fine.

I keep saying I'm going to take both next dive and compare them, and never do. I'd like to try my Force Fins, my old Tusa fins, some Apollo Bio-fins, and some Jet fins right after each other and compare. Oh, yeah, I also would like to try those super-long apnea fins. That's what all the dive masters in Corsica used. I know some divers who have a lot of different styles of fins for different needs. Like shoes.

I think the main thing with split fins is it's like being in a lower gear.

Force Fins makes split fins, too. All I need is a extra five hundred bucks. No problem.

Try 'em both, Yellowfin... Make up your own mind.

I cramp easily, and my Atomic splits have pretty much made that disappear... I silt less than some of the photogs with paddles I've seen, stirring up shovelfuls of sand, and kicking the crap out of reefs...

All of those pretty colorful fishies I've seen seem to have splits... ask them...

EDIT: As for splits in current: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/splitcurrent.asp

You either love split fins or hate them. I hate them in a way words cant even begin to describe.

Seemingly lots of effort and flopping around for very little propulsion. Frog kick and backwards fin i found near impossible with them. Also found them exceedingly poor in currents.

Worst weeks diving i ever had when i had to borrow someones splits due to my strap snapping.

Back
Top Bottom