What's the right type of boat to dive from?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At the risk of angering the ScubaBoard gods with three posts in a row....

My thoughts at this point are that you have dive boats and you have boating boats..... (and fishing boats, and houseboats, and speedboats)...

I was looking at Sea Rays because they are everywhere. I've been bouncing back and forth between 34' Rays, 30' Rays, 32' Wellcraft St Tropez, 31' Sea Ray Sportfish Flybridge, and a couple of other models I cannot recall at the moment. My reasoning for these crafts and sizes are as follows (please, correct me where I'm wrong or 'boat-stupid')

1. Cruise fees in the Bahamas double ($300!) when a boat exceeds 35'
2. Once the boat meets the minimum requirements as stated in the OP, what point is there to extra length other than extra cost?
3. Smaller is better when it comes to marina costs!

The one point that I realize was crazy is to expect to bring enough tanks for 2 - 4 divers for 2 - 3 days. I can dive 6 tanks in a day without thinking twice about it. There is no bloody way I'm going to find a boat that has room to sleep in and can hold enough tanks for 4 people like me. I'll have to pick my battles, and since I enjoy just being on the water almost as much as I enjoy being under the water I will have to live with finding something that can hold 4 - 10 tanks instead of the 72 tanks it would require for three days / four divers diving to my tolerance. That and the $10K worth of tanks isn't likely in the budget.

Trade offs.... trade offs... I think I'm going to go light a $100 bill over the nearest body of water and see what boat ownership feels like.

undefined:
Matt,

How many hours is average between rebuilds? (I'm about as much of a mechanic as I am a brain surgeon)

I'm not a mechanic either, but I know from other mechanics you can usually get 1500 hours out of gas engines before a major rebuild is required. It really depends on a lot of factors though...how often the engine is run/used, how well it's maintained, etc. Some engines will require an overhaul before 1500, some will last longer, but 1500 is a general guide for the life of a gas engine. Here's a link with some info: http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/enginelife.htm

--Matt

The main issue with inboard gas engines are the water cooled exhaust manifolds and risers. Heat and salt water accelerate rusting and when a hole rust through water gets into the engine. Generally they last 3 to 5 years in salt water service. Engines with closed cooling systems usually have the manifolds included in the closed system but the riser are still salt water cooled. This is the sort of thing that doesn't give you any warning, you go to start the engine and it is locked up from water in the cylinders. A well maintained engine can go 2500+ hours. If you have no experience with a salt water boat that size you are stating on a long learning experience. Go to some of the boating forums such as thehulltruth.com or iboats.com. This is also a good site
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/index.html

As is said you don't know what you don't know is never more true than for the first time boat buyer.

Moving to southern Florida from Nashville AND buying a boat? Either there is a trust fund lurking aorund up there or you are in for a shock like you cannot fathom.

Tom Winters:
Moving to southern Florida from Nashville AND buying a boat? Either there is a trust fund lurking aorund up there or you are in for a shock like you cannot fathom.

5 words to explain with: I don't work in diving. :D

I believe you hinted that you were a Doc? Whatever, you dont sound like a pie eyed kid. A few more thoughts. Weekends on a boat sound great but it quickly becomes old, at the dock anyways. I don't know what kind of background you have with this type of thing....Look at the people that do have boats like that and you will seldom see them "camping". Another thought, how about a full on cabin cruzer yacht kind of boat with a 14ish foot inflatable behind it? Ya have your boating boat and your diving boat then.....Feel free to PM me with any questions you dont want to post. I have a pretty extensive background in most kinds of boats, but not so much in power yachts.

Here is where I will call the morning after hitting Lotto:

http://www.youngbrothersboats.com/

A nice 40'er with a sidescan, ROV, compressor, 4 nice bunks, large fixed head, david, swim platform with strong T ladder .....

Here's my next boat, Glacier Bay 3490, I take delivery December 2007 (it's more than you want, but you can get ideas):

3490_running_2.jpg

3490_running_3.jpg

3490_running_4.jpg

With twin outboards:

3490_running_5.jpg

Cockpit:

3490_running_1.jpg

Bridge:

3490_bridge.jpg

3490_fwd_2.jpg

Be sure to get an aft door and a swim platform to dive from...

Now that is a boat, where are you going to put it?
N

So much boat and so little space....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom